Sunday, January 02, 2005

Mom's or Dad's place...

We slept in late again, but for the last time... Okay, I’m getting a bit melodramatic here but these last two week have been really, really nice.

I finally pulled out the cash for my kids to spend their Christmas money today. We went to Toys-R-Us and they did rather well. Not one of them spent all of their money but surprisingly my younger daughter, the typically more frugal child, spent the most this year. Not a big surprise though, their parents are hardly worthy of being considered appropriate examples when it comes to saving money.

I have withheld from splurging on myself as of yet. I have my eye very specifically on the Denon AVR-1705 home theatre system. It is more than I need right now, but I will hopefully be able to acquire the additional components over the years. I may still break down and buy it this week.

Today was my last day of vacation, it’s been more than two glorious weeks away from work. My only regret is that today, my kids put up the biggest fight of all at spending the night with their mother. I first got the call from her at lunchtime. I thought I had mentioned that they would be spending the night with their mother right then and there. Whether I did or not is irrelevant. They all just about lost it this evening as I asked them to get ready to go over to her apartment. They had spent the afternoon playing suspiciously well together, I had hoped it would transition nicely into mom’s place. There were a lot of tears, a last minute dart game that lasted way too long, and promises of trying to get grandma or aunt’s and uncle's to take them later in the week instead of mom.

If I were to hear of this sort of talk of me, it would just about do me in. While it would hurt her deeply, I don’t think she would be completely taken back by this. It will take a long time for my children’s mother and them to build their relationships properly again. It was really hard to make them go over there, knowing it wouldn’t be as bad as they expected, and that I do, really, need a little time to myself every now and then.

Fej

3 Comments:

Blogger Vics said...

awwwww babe! *hug*
First of all - start doing a want/ need list - do you REALLY need the home entertainment system? whats wrong with the equipment you have now - make yourself feel all virtuous and buy something you need instead (or better yet, stick the amount you would have spent on the new system into a high interest savings account for the kids and forget about it for a while - after all, it'd be gone anyway right?)
Ugh... Sorry, its the frugalist in me coming out... (is that even a word?)
Glad you had a good 'un m'dear, lets hopethings get even better eh?!

5:28 AM  
Blogger brokenangel said...

I know how tough it is to make your children to go an ex-spouses house when they don't want to. My ex used to think I was making it all up when I would tell him how upset our daughter was. The last straw occurred when I carried my daughter wailing into his mother's place and she wouldn't let go. I called him at work and he could hear her screaming and crying in the background. Finally, he woke up and realized that there was something wrong. Since he has made it significantly easier for her by making arrangements for me to take her to him directly or has picked her up. Hopefully there is some way that you both can work it out to ease the change of custody. It's never an easy situation.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Stepping Stones said...

It's hard being a parent. It's even harder being a child of divorced parents. Sounds like your ex needs to build up a better understanding and trust w/ her children again. It will take a lot of time, but sounds like you've already got a good handle of things. And don't give in, because you need your time too.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home