Thursday, December 30, 2004

Taking Collections for Snowboarding

We have become way too used to vacation. My oldest daughter woke me up at 10:30 this morning. We did stay up pretty late watching a Jimmy Neutron movie but I didn’t expect to sleep in that long. I barely pulled the younger two out of bed just before lunch.

My leisurely mid-morning was cut short from a bill collector. They weren’t looking for me, but for my wife or her ex-roommate. Not knowing the nature of the call I mentioned I was her husband. Mistake? The story behind this happened about a year ago, a good while before I started blogging.

I’ll try to keep this short. My wife first met D while in a short-term mental health facility. He was a nice enough guy who was also BI-polar and down on his luck. They kept in contact afterwards, one thing led to another (I’m obviously leaving a lot out here), and a couple months later they were living in an apartment together.

Around Christmas last year, my wife decided that D wasn’t the best influence in her life, they were to remain friends but they both moved out of the apartment. I was mistakenly under the impression that the landlord released them from the lease voluntarily to help them out. Apparently that was not the case.

She had mentioned to me a while back that the apartments were trying to get the remainder of the lease out of them. They can just forget trying to get any money out of D, but my wife and I are still legally married, our names share a lot of accounts, credit reports, etc. Legal action was the next choice so I decided to just pay the damn bill. Just short of $1000, merry Christmas, happy birthday, whatever.

To make matters worse, due to a lot of fraudulent acts, they don’t just take credit card numbers over the phone. You need to fax a written and signed statement allowing them to use your card and all that crap. I could have used Retro Girl’s new fax printer machine today, that would have saved me the trip and $2.12 to send one page!?


Snowboarding

We rented the kids some equipment this afternoon and tomorrow morning we head off to the hills again. Minus ski school and my youngest daughter bailing out at the last minute, it won’t cost nearly as much this time, a definite plus.

No sleeping in late tomorrow, I better nip this blogging thing in the bud (what the heck does "nip it in the bud" mean anyway?) and get to bed early.

Fej

5 Comments:

Blogger != said...

Have fun snowboarding Jeff. Prolly won't be blogging till Sunday, so have a happy and safe new year.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Holiday Glam 101...lol..very lame for all in white decorated table with candles, flowers, froo froo...blah blah blah..! The snow, skiing, snowboarding, dressing them undressing them, the cold..lol is kicking this mommy's ass, but it's fun isn't it! My 10 year old is having so much fun, my 5 year old is getting it and my 4 year old is a natural. Me...I'm a california girl who looks cute in the clothes and tries really hard. LOL. Have a ton of fun!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

ps..nip in the bud...cut before it grows any bigger..lol.

Happy New Year.

4:13 AM  
Blogger brokenangel said...

I had a similar problem with my ex and the mortgage that was on the house that we lived in together(and he was still living in). Left it until 2 weeks before it was to be renewed to bother to tell me it needed to be done. I hadn't lived in the house for 6 months but because the house and the mortgage were in both of our names, I would have been left on the hook for it. The mortgage company even called me at work, in the evening, reminding me that it needed to be done (trying to track me down at work can be challenging at the best of times). I stepped up to the plate, of course, got it all sorted out, before the mortgage defaulted, and took care of business. It was immediately after that the separation agreement was drawn up and it was clearly stated that we were separately responsible for our own financial responsibilites. Too bad it had to cost you money when it was only time and hassle for me.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Noala said...

Awwww now don't say you're too used to vacation just cos you slept in - that's what holidays are for!!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home