Monday, December 27, 2004

Meeting Times, Books, and odd meetings at the Grocery Store

I slept in much of the day. Actually no. I tossed and turned from about 5:00 AM until 8:00 ish. From then on I slept quite soundly. Oddly what woke me up was my nephew calling from his mother’s mobile phone (without her consent) to ask that if we go snowboarding again, to please, please, let him go with us.

I tried to go back to sleep and succeeded without any problem. Whatever woke me up also happened to make me aware of the time. It was nearly 10:00 AM. I got up, fed the cats, myself, and jumped on my PC.

Not much going on except for a lot of nice comments and even some from some new folks, which I always like. I spent the rest of the morning trying to finish up the John Adams Biography I had been reading forever. I was anxious to start the new George Washington Biography I got for Christmas. My dog and I enjoyed a leisurely morning together. I called my wife and she sounded fine with me coming to get the kids at around 1:00 PM.

I tried letting her know that I was on my way, but no one answered. No biggie, that’s not that unusual. When I pulled into her apartment though, her car wasn’t there. I called her cell phone and finally got a hold of her. They were at the guitar shop of course and were planning on having lunch shortly. Well, of course, I should have figured that my 1:00 ish appointment meant nothing really.

I joined them for lunch and then the kids and I came home. We lounged, played, tormented siblings, and I finished my book. I decide to make a quick trip to the store.

As I was leaving, a very pretty woman waved as she drove by. Then I noticed it was my wife’s ex-boyfriend’s ex-wife. I returned the shopping cart to the appropriate bin (I don’t hate, but slightly loathe all those who just discard their carts randomly). This gave her enough time to park and walk right past me as I entered my vehicle. It seemed deliberate, while our past encounters seemed to have occured quite by accident and awkward.

She asked how I was doing, I replied and asked the same of her. Then she “flipped” her rather nice hair as she walked by, it could have been because she was going to work, it could have been to make me notice. Either way, I jumped into my vehicle. As I was about to pull out of my space, I noticed another woman across the lot, seemed familiar, yes, it was my wife. She and her friend from the latest installment of my soap opera life were going to the store together. I thought she noticed me but she, nor I, made any attempt to acknowledge the other as they walked in. It's just as likely, probably more so, that she didn't see me at all.

The timing of it all was uncanny, to say the least.

I went home and the kids continued to destroy and dismantle our home as I helplessly stood by, and then fixed them dinner also.

Fej

2 Comments:

Blogger Fej said...

My life can be interesting to read about on occasions, last night was just a reminder that things can get all out of whack with little notice.

Thanks for pointing out the bad link, it should work now.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

You're sagas keep me smiling. I slept in much of the day too. All the coughing the night before, but that's where the similarity in our days end...:)

I hope you're having a nice holiday.
C

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home