Monday, May 02, 2005

The Kids are Making Their Own Lunches

Is this some sort of divine intervention? I always figured it would come in the form of a lightening strike (of course), then followed by the sound of angels singing (not that I would have heard that before), and of course lots of bright light. Nope, it came in the form of, “Uh, Dad, can I make my own lunch?” This was from my younger daughter.

Followed by, “I’ll make mine too if that’s okay…” from my oldest.

An insult? A polite way to say, “Your lunches are crap Dad.” No, none of that. This has been quite the saving grace for me in fact.

I guesstimate that I’ve made somewhere in the range of 800 lunches not including my own in the last two years. This number could be as high as 1000 but not likely lower than 700, I should have kept track. No wonder this subject has driven me nuts for the last couple years. When my kids decided that they liked something at school, I would be ecstatic, but it rarely would last. My son no longer likes “Pizza Wednesday”, my daughter stopped liking “Hero” sandwiches, and my oldest only eats burritos… I think.


I still have to monitor and approve what they pack themselves… intervention is necessary in-order to prevent them eating a lunch of purely potato chips and cookies, but they do fairly well actually.

It won’t last, I think it’s just a heavenly reprieve from some higher up that knows I’m burning the candle at both ends and that there are only a few weeks left of school. Either way, it’s nice.

Fej

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Ahhh... God intervenes in wonderful ways! I've got lots of catching up to do in blog reading... been out of touch for a few days.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Just to let you know that I am sending you an e-mail with your log in details. Once the code is on your blog I will move you to the members list.

Thanks, T x

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! What a great milestone. I remember when my daughter suddenly, out of the blue in 4th grade decided she wanted to make her own lunches. And she made some great lunches.
My son (now 11) on the other hand has never shown any interest, though it's easy to make his lunch, it takes about one minute because he wants the same thing every day, and he hates sandwiches.

11:50 AM  
Blogger brokenangel said...

My daughter isn't ready to make her own lunch yet but she is making her own snacks here at home. However, she does constantly remind me when I am making her lunch for school that peanuts and peanut products are NOT allowed (lol). I am looking forward to my daughter making her own lunch for school. I hope it comes soon!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

WOOHOO! They're making the dreaded lunches! Yesterday my kindergartner made Spiderman's lunch. I couldn't believe how cool that was. SO much initiative!

Wow! What's next...High jumping for the $5 bill on the wall!
:) C

ooooh you're invited into a webring..lol...ooze oooze ooze.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home