Sunday, April 24, 2005

Ulterior Motives

I was awoken this morning by my oldest daughter throwing a sock on me. It was my sock that she had found in her room while cleaning it. Let me say that again, I don’t think you heard me right the first time, she was cleaning her room!

Why you ask? And more importantly, why am I not leaping out of bed for sheer joy that she finally cleaned her room? Because the only reason she cleaned it was so she could invite a friend over. No big deal, right? Wrong. The friend, her best friend, is a boy. I’ve known this for some time and saw this coming but there was always the excuse of “you have to clean that room first young lady…” so there goes that excuse. Then they weren’t home and we made it nearly until 2:00 PM but then he called back. Oh God.

He came over, he’s a good kid, and they played like kids still, even though they are in the sixth grade. Big sigh of relief. I’m sure it’s only going to get worse though…


Okay, I’ll expound a little more on yesterday’s awkward moment. It’s my wife, my mother-in-law, both sister-in-laws and all of the kids. My sister-in-law freaks out on how much the kids have grown and then comes over to give me a hug. During the hug she loudly comments on how “muscular” and “hard” I was, and pokes my chest. She laughs, realizing what an awkward thing that is to say, I blush, and my other sister-in-law tries to laugh it off by explaining that it was due to all the “golfing”. Then a few minutes later she exclaims, “I can’t believe how good you look!” I think a kid got in trouble or something shortly afterwards, I’m not sure really but we moved on.

Okay, let’s back this train up a bit. First off, I’m not a big guy in any dimension. I don’t consider myself to be at all as she described. It’s most likely that she hasn’t seen me in three years and the scrawny little guy I was is finally starting to finally get in better shape. But that’s about it, I haven’t had to buy any new shirts for reasons of tearing and if that happens I’ll stop working out. That’s not my goal, I just want to lead a healthier life. Heck, I barely make it to the gym once or twice a week as it is, that and soccer.

Anyhoo, enough of that. But taking advantage of my excess trunk space, I did decide to leave my golf clubs in my vehicle. I am minutes away from a driving range while at work and that might be a nice alternative to reading CNN and scarffing down my lunch at my desk. Dang it though, golf is an expensive sport.

Fej

7 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Im hoping my daughter will believe boys have cooties until she is at least 32.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I seriously laughed at your description of the 'awkward moment'. LMAO ooooooooooo the marraige bed isn't even cold and she's hot for your bod! woohoo!!

The whole girls growing up thing. I can sit here and giggle at your torment because I have three girls who are almost 23, almost 20 and 15. I know your agony. Does it make you feel any better to know my middle daughter got pregnant at 14 and had her baby at 15?
Probably not... *wandering away*

6:45 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Oh my!!!!! YOu realize that she is in the prime boy crazy age range. The fact that she was soooooo excited about cleaning the room. Oh what a fun Daddy moment you must have had!

LOL...oh and the sister in law was sooo hitting on you. I bet the wife was just cringing.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Tell your daughter she can't have sleepover guests until she cleans MY room. And first she'll have to save up the allowance to get out here.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Fej said...

Shane, I hoped too... sobbing

Lori, yeah the awkward moment is still awkward, and now she lives 5 minutes away too. And no, you didn't make me feel any better with that last remark... more sobbing

C, yup, she was cringing, big time.

Abby, excellant idea. She's a crafty one though, what if she actually does it...

10:22 PM  
Blogger != said...

Most girls I meet must think I still have cooties. That would explain 5 years with no dates. Seriously, a friend of mine's biggest fear is that if she has a daughter, she will be pregnant as soon as she hits her teens.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

Very recognisable indeed... my eldest daughter (15) now has a boyfriend since a couple of weeks and has changed beyond recognition :D
Just hope he'll stick around for a while, maybe she'll clean up her room too, otherwise I'll have to hire your daughter for a while too when Abby's through ;-)...

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home