Friday, April 15, 2005

Just Another Day

So we are driving to school like we do every morning. The little two are babbling incessantly in the back and my oldest and I are listening to a morning radio show. It breaks for the news and to the shock of both of us we find out that her teacher from last year plowed into the rear of another car the other night and was arrested for DWI (DUI). They announce not only his name but also the school and every detail they had about the wreck. My daughter is floored.

I think she is taking this better than me though. This guy is a fabulous teacher. He made school interesting, he watched out for your kids, and he was voted teacher of the year by the school last year. And it was only his first year at that school. I missed a lot of time with my kids last year going on business trips but one thing that made me feel better was that he not only watched over my oldest but after my little ones too.

He screwed up big time obviously. I don’t know if a teacher can get fired for that sort of thing. The main reason this story made the news was because that our director of the school board died in a DWI related accident last year, a principal of another school was arrested for DWI recently and a couple judges too. We have a reputation of sorts for drinking and driving out here.


On a lighter note: A little while back my kids were asking me how many bones we had. I think it’s around 203 but don’t kids have like 3 more and they eventually disappear or something like that? Anyhow, we somehow got onto the topic of Adam and Eve and how Adam gave Eve a rib, so men have one less bone the women. My son got it mixed up though as he told me this tid-bit this evening:

“Dad, you know how boys have wieners and girls don’t? That’s because boys have one more bone than girls! Yup. That’s why Dad!”

I wasn’t able to address that theory of his for several minutes.


Fej

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it depends on the level of alchohol in the blood. Here you only need to have had about 2 drinks, and it isn't those people who cause the accidents, it is the blind drunk people who keep offending. So I like to reserve judgement until I know the percentage.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Sorry about the incident with the teacher... you all have had some shocking things happening recently. The Adam/Even where'd the bone go story is priceless.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

It's so sad, sounds like a personal tragedy is being played out which none of us have any idea of. I don't condone driving under influence but know it can be the tip of an iceberg of titanic proportions...

The boner story is wonderful... try this angle sometime when arguing with the creationist crowd :D

11:23 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Well, your son does have a good point, doesn't he? Nice story.

I'm sorry to hear about the teacher though.

10:52 PM  
Blogger brokenangel said...

Try telling your next date about your "extra bone" story. Might get you farther than you think....LOLOL

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home