Sunday, April 17, 2005

I didn’t get the job

I’m far from devastated though as I figured I would be at first. Now, it’s just relief and I now have an inside contact.

As I believe I mentioned last week, I called to check on the status of things only to find out that the guy was out of town until tomorrow. So I just left a message. When does he call? Sunday afternoon and only moments after I fire up the Jeep for the first time in a month or two. The choke is full on and the Jeep is roaring away, and there comes my daughter yelling, “It’s about your job!”

I grab the phone and helplessly try to communicate with him over the noise of the Jeep until I’m inside. He was amazed at how loud it was on the phone. Anyhow, he danced around the bottom line for a while talking me up about how he and everyone else I interviewed with liked me but they had found someone else who had a little more direct experience for that particular job. This was not a huge surprise to me. I don’t remember if I discussed this here or not, but one of my major concerns after the interview was why they wanted to interview me in the first place. I personally wouldn’t have thought that my resume was a great fit for this particular position. Of course I didn’t even know what job I was interviewing for until that day...

On the bonus side, he said he is available to help in anyway he can for other positions that might come up. That is just great because after checking out the web-site, sure enough, there is a job opening that fits me much better than this one did (rather uncanny timing too). I think I’ll cash in on that offer tomorrow to see if he can help me out. He also mentioned that I was the 2nd choice among 37 applicants and if something fell through I would be getting a call. I figure he wouldn’t have called me if the other person hadn’t already accepted the offer though.

All in all, I think having to wait six weeks to find out actually helped. I’m far from upset and I'm a little excited at the idea of finding something new still. At least I have a job, it would be a very different story if I were unemployed.

Fej

7 Comments:

Blogger != said...

Sorry that you didn't get that job, but hopefully that new position might work out. So what were you gonna do with the Jeep?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Bummer! I would say more but I need to read up and see what this is all about. lol

7:05 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

Sorry bout the job too, i have found out that even interviewers don't know what they want. I once saw a guy hired that had a hell of a lot of experience and a masters in computer science to work on a project doing stuff a student could of done. Needless to say he didn't stick around long when he found out the powers that be had no clue what they were doing...

12:39 PM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

Hmmm... pity it didn't work out, but at least you've got a foot in the door now. Just keep your contact warm, who know's where it'll go from here.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Ok my friend...i'm sorry. I guess the only good thing is that you know someone there now and the excitement wore off after all these weeks. Hang in there and keep looking. "Your" job is out there.
Happy Monday..
C

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind eh...having to wait so long was bizarre I thought.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Welll... sorry about not getting the job, but it sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out. What's right for you will happen as long as you keep the attitude you've got... at least that's my two cents worth.

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home