Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Work and Money

When discussing why I have to go to work, even when my kids have the day off, I once mistakenly made the silly remark that, “I have to work, to make money, so we don’t have to live in a box.”

Of course, that sets the little ones off into a tangent about how cool it would be to live in a box, and they both started to argue about how they’d setup the box, and who got the biggest part of the box, and yada yada.

Kids don’t understand money, not before 10 usually anyway. I’m completely determined to totally screw my kids up though. They can be struggling with the toughest math problem (any one of the three) but as soon as I liken it to money, they go, “Oh! I get it now!” But if I’m trying to explain why I only get three weeks of vacation compared to their three months, it doesn’t go so well. Money starts to grow on trees again.

Or for that matter walls. I tried another bribery technique for getting their room clean. I tacked up two $5 bills about 9 ft. up on their wall as an incentive for cleaning up. Yeah right, their little eyes gleamed for about 3 seconds until they realized they’d actually have to work for the money. I’m sure I’m going to have to pull the money down myself soon, if for no other reason to help pay for all these *%$@& field trips, yearbooks, and wood (did I mention my oldest was taking shop?).

Then on Thursday I take them all to work for a few hours for “Bring Your Kids to Work Day.” They get to play games, I’ll cut there names into scrap parts with the laser, and they get prizes and donuts. Yup, just like any normal day at work...

Then I’ll get comments like, “Dad, I want to work at your job when I grow up because you get donuts everyday and get to play games and play with the lasers!” Yup, my kids are going to be broke too when they grow up.


Fej

8 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I planted a "money" tree in my back yard.
Damn thing won't grow to save my life!
(Did I mention I have a tendancy to kill every plant I touch anyhow?) No? Well it explains the absence of real greenery in my house.

I should have bought a silk one! -sigh-

6:20 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

To funny...I am not sure when any of us really learn the value of the dollar. My two year old at least knows I have to work for money and tells me to goto work to make more money, though I want to work where you do and play with lasers and eat doughnuts that sounds like fun! :D

Though where I work sometimes I get to see them play with multiple launch rocket systems, and turn incoming ballistic missles into missle dust at 60,000 feet using a THADD, so thats always fun :D

8:36 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Holy crap! Lasers? Blowing up missiles? How do you guys have time to type in a blog?????

Ya know, what's the point of bringing your kids to work if they don't somewhat see what you really do? Games? Donuts? lol Not sure that's the way to go.

My hubby's work sends out notices every year that they 'do not participate in the bring your child to work day' program. But I think my kids would be bored since hubby is a computer tech..lol

Well...I like the money on the wall idea. I just smile sweetly and tell Ben that if he doesn't clean his room he won't get a cookie before bed. :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Sometimes I hate you - I REALLY want to cut my name into scrap parts with a laser now, and it is all your fault! DAMN IT! I hope you can live with yourself knowing that I am lying awake at night thinking about it. Next time you have a kids at work day I am SO blatantly coming! - You have to promise me now! We can pretend that I am the product of some old fling on an English holiday, and that I have that weird disease that Robin Williams had in that film where you age dramatically and look about 60 when you are 15. It will be great! You'll be the belle of the ball with a long lost kid with not only a very strange disabilitym, but also an English accent. I know how you Americans love it! It's Austin Powers this and orlroit guvna that...we'll have a brilliant time AND I we WILL burn my name with a laser!

Promise me now!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Fej said...

Suzanne, I soooo wish that money tree’s were real.

Shane, Cooooollll! We have small lasers, nothing terribly exciting except you can do some pretty precise name cutting.

Lori, my kids look forward to this day all year. They are usually bored out of their minds after an hour or so, but they seem to forget that every year too.

Evan, okay it’s a deal. The only issue might be catching a flight across the pond in the next 15 minutes or so in order to be at my place by tomorrow morning. I promise to burn your name on a part, maybe we should get started without you just in case you’re running a little late?

7:41 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

My sweet 6 year old asked me for $1000 for field day at school, so she could be Principal for the Day. LOL...This after a little Pep Rally for the k-4th graders. They're buying a rock climbing wall for school. What ever happened to slides and swings.

When she grows up, though...she wants to be a Princess..."Just like you Mommy." :) Cute or what.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Christie! Awwwwww she thinks you're a princess! That is so sweet! My youngest thought I looked pregnant.....

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home