Wednesday, May 04, 2005

It's about my wife and auto insurance, I wouldn't bother reading any further.

Everything was going fine until I got to work. Then I get a call from a gruffy voiced insurance adjuster. My wife’s car was in the shop to see if there was a problem with the auto body repair work done on her car nearly 8 months ago. She had been complaining about it for some time and each time she took it in, they claimed to find nothing wrong. I told my wife to have the insurance people there to back her up and make sure it gets fixed.

So the adjuster tells me that he found new damage to the car, that would explain the problem and unless we filed a new claim they weren’t paying for anything. Great. I called my wife who didn’t answer and I was unable to hide my frustration during the message. When I finally talked to her about an hour later she insisted that she had not been in another wreck, the rim damage the adjuster was referring to was from years ago and this was a problem with the repairs, not her driving. Yeah, if you knew her driving history, you’d be skeptical too.

However, I am familiar with the scrape on the rim they were referring to and it had been there for years. Also, to destroy a rear axle, you’d have to hit a curb pretty damn hard. So, I called back the adjuster and he assured me this was indeed the cause. Uh huh. So, I am back on the phone with my wife and her roommate who is quickly taking charge (and much easier to talk to...). Turns out they have been working this for a few days now. Roommate’s uncle is a “Master” mechanic and has already seen the car and decided this was a defect from the repair and not subsequent damage.

To add to their story, the guy at the dealership informs me that my insurance company opted to use refurbished parts for the repair as opposed to new. This means that the dealer can then transfer all liability to the insurance company... who insists this is all due to a scratch on the rim.

I’m actually on my wife’s side at this point.

I decide to call my insurance agent personally to see if he can help. I told him everything and he sounded like he might be able to help, at the least he would ask someone above the gruff voiced adjuster I spoke to originally.

To wrap things up, my wife was livid during every conversation only to have her roommate grab the phone each time and then clear things up. I really think I like this lady... well at least what she’s doing for my wife. Her uncle has said he will fix the car on the side, film it, and then they were going to take the insurance company and dealership to court. Good gosh.

That won’t happen for a couple weeks so hopefully I can work with my insurance company (a little more tactfully anyway) and get this issue straightened out prior to bringing in lawyers.

Lovely day.

Fej

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Who's your insurance agent? State Farm????

3:37 PM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Ugh.

Stuff like this makes me more insane than I already am.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home