Saturday, February 19, 2005

Infrared and Little Kids

My six-year-old son and I stop into a restroom in a department store. Upon completing our business I step away from the electronic-eye device and my urinal flushes. He steps away and nothing happens. I notice that he is too short for the eye to see him.

“Son, you are too short for the eye to see you. Wave your hand or something.”

“What eye Dad?” He looks a little confused. He is still looking for a handle to pull on.

“That’s how these toilets work. See the little red light? That’s an electronic eye that flushes automatically when you walk away. Uh, if you are tall enough.”

“Oh.” He starts waving frantically at the red eye.

“No son, you just need to place your hand in front of it for a few seconds and then remove it.”

It works and startles him just a bit. We head over to the sinks, they have the infrared sensors also. He can’t get the water to stay on long enough to wash his hands.

I say, “The sinks have the electronic eye’s too son, just hold your hands underneath and don’t move them too far away.” He can barely reach the faucet but manages to get the soap rinsed off.

Then of course, the paper towel machines also have the eye. I wave my hand and get my towel. He looks at me and then does the same and gets his towel. He walks toward the trashcan, gets ready to toss in his wadded up towel but hesitates, “Dad? Does the trashcan have an eye too?”

It was just an open barrel, poor guy, I didn’t mean to shock him with all this high tech stuff we just needed to use the restroom.

Fej

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

The Atlanta airport is filled with weird, electric, talking trash cans. If something gets stuck in the door and it is ajar, the trash can starts talking and tells everyone in the vicinity, "Please remove the trash from the door." or something like that. It's disconcerting after a bit. I once entertained myself for several hours (flight was delayed and then eventually cancelled - what's a girl to do?) by seeing how long it took for someone to push the trash down into the receptacle. It took a long time. When someone eventually pushed it down, the trash can shook all over for a few seconds - it had a built in trash compactor. You should take you son to the Atlanta airport. Your son would probably love the trash cans. For a few minutes at least.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Ohhh LOL Jeff, reminds me of when my nephew was potty training and the beam was so low that everytime he tried to sit down to go the toilet would flush...it was really quite traumatic... THanks for the smile... I also found an internet game that made me think of you..ONLY if you have some free time (lol) should you take on the game!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

The 1st time I vividly recall Nate the Great encountering the robo-tronic toitty was in Florida on a Disney World va-ca. Nate was 4 and we had been on the "Tower of Terror" ride. We went to potty and the electronic toilet got stuck and would not stop flusing. Nathan immediately dubbed it the "Toilet of Terror"

8:18 PM  
Blogger Noala said...

Thankyou so much for the smile this story put on my face Fej :)

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home