Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Back to Normal(?)

What a day. Our panel regrouped at our usual place in the jury room this morning and then went up to the deliberation room to wait for court to resume. We were a far cry from our usual noisy group. In fact, as everyone gloomily stood around the room the only comments were about our silence. I guess the defendant’s family had taunted one lady the night before as she waited for a ride, which didn’t help anyone’s mood a bit.

Finally, we were called into court. By some miracle, both parties waived the jury for the aggravated charge decision. The judge would take this on for us. He spent some considerable time thanking us for our time, punctuality, and attention to the case. It was one of the longest criminal trials here in recent decades I guess, I don't doubt it. We received certificates of appreciation and then retired to the deliberation room for a voluntary open discussion with the attorneys and judge. That was interesting and resolved some of our open questions and possibly some of theirs. Then I misheard that the defendant’s family wanted to talk to us. I didn’t think that was such a hot idea given that we had just handed down a pretty decisive first-degree murder charge to their son. I was wrong, it was the victim’s family that wanted to speak with us.

The lawyers and grief counselors talked them out of it and sent a representative instead to express their gratitude. That would have been way too emotional for them, much less us. During the reading of the verdict yesterday afternoon, literally the entire courtroom burst into tears. The defendant’s family of course because of the guilty verdict and the victim’s family I'm assuming for a mixture of reasons. The judges secretary and the lead detective for the prosecution were both crying so I stopped scanning what had become familiar faces and patiently waited to leave the courtroom.



Now I return to the private sector once again, I hope. Well, my first phone call out was to my perspective employer to see if he had any recollection of who I was. As it turned out, he had apparently had a discussion earlier that morning having learned of the verdict and figured that I would probably be calling soon. He had already talked to HR prior to my call and they are deciding whether my interview will be held on the 8th or the 10th of next month. (Insert cartwheels and loud whooping sounds here.)

Work was a waste, I spent the whole day walking everyone I saw through the whole trial step by step. Damn if feels good to finally be able to talk about it.

Fej

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Geeeeeeeeeesh. What an ordeal. The only time I've ever been on jury duty, it was related to whether or not the city should have cut down a tree. One day thing. We felt sorry for the people with the lost tree, but ruled in favor of the city. And I felt BAD about it. I can't IMAGINE what it would be like to be involved in a true life/death issue if I'm feeling torn up about a friggin' tree. Good luck with the interview and new job!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Noala said...

I imagine it's a huge relief for you that it's over.

How do you feel about it? I was rather surprised at my own feelings after the trial on which I was a juror.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm glad for you that it's over. What a relief that must be.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad that's finally over. :)

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home