Thursday, January 06, 2005

Almost There

Tomorrow is finally Friday. I just have 0 incentive to work right now. I have lots to do. I’m not slacking necessarily, but I know I could be so much more effective right now if I just had some hint of ambition.

Last spring I asked our Chinese management to assign someone to take over some of my programming responsibilities. I was (am) tired of this project and they really need someone on their side of the ocean who can take care of this stuff. The guy they assigned to the task is the same guy I have worked the closest with for a couple of years now. He has desparately wanted to visit the US and now he has the chance.

It’s not the first time he’s left China. We went to Switzerland together a while back. I hope he enjoys his stay here and that I can show him at least a portion of the hospitality he has shown for me.


Other Stuff

I haven’t bothered to mention this since it’s just crap, but I really didn’t want to talk about this incident anymore. On Monday, the guy called back again, to say that the client rejected the settlement. They wanted about $300 more. We hemmed and hawed over it for a while, he at one point said, “Did you just say your soon to be ex-wife and her ex-boyfriend?” I must have caught him off guard because his voice sounded like an actual person for a brief moment instead of the Darth Varder/bill collector voice.

Then, I finally made good on the broken windshield from wife’s last rental car. She had this rental for close to 7 weeks while they fixed her car due to the most recent traffic incident. Not only did my insurance cover just $900 of the rental (about 4 weeks) but a rock hit the windshield and cracked it also. No biggie, I was using my credit card that had auto insurance (you know the “don’t sign up for any of the coverage’s, we’ll cover it” insurance). That’s only if you renew the contract every 15 days, or so I found out. The windshield I bought today (for a car I don’t own) brought the grand total of that whole incident up to about $1000. The deductible was only $250.

On a good note however, my wife drove out to a nearby town today to appear before a judge on a contempt of court charge. She had missed the original court date for this incident but made it out today. The judge dismissed the charges but court fees etc. were in excess of $350. Apparently the judge took pity on her (me) and waived it all. Phew.

Fej - Read the fine print.

2 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

Blimey! I have some catching up to do.

Happy New Year by the way.

On a completely different topic, after watching Silverado this afternoon from the righteousness of my unemployment encouraging bed, I decided that life would nearly be simpler if we were all cowboys. In fact, if it wasn't for my inability to ride horses (pony trekking probably doesnt count), a total lack of talent with guns, rope and cattle, and my distaste for outdoors life - I'd be a cowboy! Damn right! However, it must be noted that Kevin Costner is perhaps the gayest cowboy I have ever seen. The Village People bloke has nothing on Kev. More camp than a row of tents.

At least it's Friday, eh?

8:17 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

You soooo need a cocktail and a little aromatherapy candle too soothe your worn out nerves. I'm beginning to think your wife and my mother were cut from the same mold. So the bright spot it at least it's Friday! Happy Weekend. I'm sure it was a long week after such a great long vacation.
C

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home