Saturday, November 20, 2004

I'll be damned

“Uncle, if we are at a dam, is it okay to say we are crossing the damn bridge?” Says my nephew.

I knew what was coming next and still said, “Yes.”

Then it went on and on.

“Could we go to the damn bathroom?”
“Could we go to the damn gift shop?”
“Could we swim in the damn water?”

Etc. etc, fill in your own suggestions if you have them.

I’ll try to minimize my postings that are limited to my children’s fascination with foul language. Not that damn is real foul work by any means but they just love the freedom to say a normally bad word and get away with it clean.

For some strange reason I opted to take not only my nephew tonight but his 2-year old sister also. I normally limit who I’ll watch to those out of diapers and older. She really wanted to go with us though and we didn’t really have any plans. I figure, I’ve done my time with diapers and have absolutely no desire to ever do it again. I lucked out and she didn’t have any “big jobs”.

Fej

2 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

My parent's took the decision to allow "damn" to be used by us. I reckon it was an attempt to encourage us (well, me...my sister was always very well behaved) to use damn in place of the myriad of worse words out there. Of course, I have always had a foul mouth, so it never stopped me, just gave me something to pull out when the realitives came round.

3:44 AM  
Blogger ro said...

I don't remember when I started cursing, but I remember learning bad words from my friends and secretly telling each other. Of course, I had the benefit of learning insults/curses in two languages having lived in Italy til my teens. In any case, I thought this link might be of use...and actually fun.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home