Tuesday, November 16, 2004

I know exactly where I don't want to be...

So where the heck am I headed? I wish I knew. If the plant isn’t shut down with the doors chained shut in six months, I’m never going to believe another rumor again. It’s getting so bad that everyone is just dragging around the place, completely oblivious, or just holding out for that severance package. There isn’t a sole there with less than 5 years of service and most of them are people they rehired from previous layoffs. Most everyone else is 10 years and up. Now it’s rumored that they might stop giving non-exempt folks severance packages. That won’t affect me until some disgruntled nutcase brings a small armory into work one morning and starts shooting. I think it’s just an attrition tactic but they really need to be careful when screwing with people’s lives like this. Everyone who has ever been laid off from this place has received a severance package, why change it now?

I’m quickly reaching the point where I want to be divorced. I’m looking forward to this being officially over. I’m still slightly terrified of being single but I’ll deal with it. Like I ever get out more than once every two weeks anyway. I can barely look pretty bus driver in the face as it is.

I want to find a new job, but not in the same field. Engineering was never what I really intended to do and it does not help that I have the wrong degree either. Not many manufacturing places are looking for non-degreed engineers and even fewer government agencies are looking for Political Science majors with 11 years of manufacturing and engineering experience either.

Hey, at least uncertainty, instability, and a definite lack of a clear future are sure to make it exciting. Right? Well, maybe not for most people, but I’m sure it will be an interesting ride for me.

Fej

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home