Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Bus Driver

I’ve been dropping my kids off at school nearly every morning for the last three years. That was when we had them transferred to a school out of district. I was usually peeling out into the bus drop off area tossing them out with their backpacks close behind in hopes of them making it to class on time. Now this year I seem to have our loosely held schedules under a little more control. Today was the first day my oldest was late and that was because of extenuating circumstances. I’m sticking to that excuse anyway.

After I drop her off at middle school I have thirty minutes to kill until I can drop off the little ones. That thirty minutes is usually filled with arguments, complaints, absolute nuttiness, and conversations that only 1st and 2nd graders can really appreciate. Today was nothing different for the usual things but something did happen that was a bit unexpected.

Bus drivers as a rule are old and then a wide variety of the following: cranky, senile, impatient, asleep, odd, eccentric etc., you get the idea, we all probably rode on one at some point. Well, there is an exception to this rule and she has caught my eye off and on for the last three years. Through a bus window this woman appears to be young, very well kept, and darn right beautiful. I first noticed her when the kids started at this new school. I’ve always wondered what she looks like outside of the bus but she has never exited while I was around.

Anyhoo, I’ll notice her and she’ll ignore my existence and that’s about it. My guess is that she knows she is hot and tries to avoid the “Dad’s” starring at the pretty bus driver. Of course had she ever paid any attention in return I wouldn’t know what to do either.

For most of the mornings we usually spend it sitting in the Suburban. I’m listening to the radio and they are jumping all over the seats, crawling out the windows, rolling them up and down, and yelling and waving at teachers they know as they drive in. Initially we would hang on the playground but it’s getting pretty chilly in the mornings and my kids are wimps. The first bus to arrive is usually the pretty driver’s bus. I gave up paying much attention to her long ago.

In-between chasing my son around the car and brushing my daughter’s hopelessly entangled hair during the time before I can set them free on the playground, the pretty bus driver has a perfect view of us and our activities. The buses were already starting to pull out just before I sent my kids on their way. As the buses drove by I happened to notice the pretty girl. She looked right at me, smiled, and held the glance just long enough to make me wonder if I should have looked at all. I’m such a wuss.

Fej

5 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

I hate those eye contact moments. My mouth dries up and my heart races a million miles per hour. I'd never know what to say even if it got beyond a glance. I mean, how do people do it..."Er...I'm Evan...would you like to give birth to my children?" I don't think so.

Last night, whilst watching football (soccer to you) in the pub, my friend and I were spying on a man who was quite obviously on the pull. The girl in question was pretty cute too, so I actually found myself thinking "DAMN IT! She is obviously open to the chat-up...why didn't I start talking to her?" as if I would have even known how. I can't play it cool. I tend to blurt things out that are either too full on or just completely inappropriate. I once told a woman that I thought she had "a smashing pair of legs" about 13 seconds after meeting her (alcohol is a dreadful mind twister). She said "Oh. Thanks. I'm just going to talk to my friend" and ran away. The humiliation still sits with me. I saw that same woman about 5 times in the following month, and went ashen everytime.

Women...PAH! We're better off without them Fej...(yeah right)

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fej: You should say hello - that's it. It's a start.

Evan: Pubs are no place to meet people.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

If it makes you feel any better it's not any easier for a woman. Most men my age are still lusting after 21 year old bikini models which I can no longer compete with.

Then there's the "did he mean something by that" question. I think I need a male interpreter. Why can't it be a little more straight forward???

So smile, wave even! If she's not interested what have you lost? You'll still be in the same boat you're in now. But if she is...things could get a lot more interesting.

Good luck!
-K.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

P.S. Nice to really see you! If you smiled at me, I'd smile back. ;)
-K.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Fej said...

Anonymous: I would (might) have smiled back had I been a little more prepared. Remember, I’ve been checking her our for three years now and I finally get a surprise smile. Plus the windows weren’t rolled down and I can come up with all kinds of other excuses...

Kat, thanks for the advice, it’s nice to know we men are not alone. Tomorrow is another day, coincidentally one I’ll be dropping my kids off at school. I’ll be sure to watch for a certain bus also.

Evan, women are nothing but trouble, but apparently I have this thing for trouble.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home