Friday, November 05, 2004

The Bird

“Daddy?”

“What?”

“Does it count when you say bad words with other words too?”

“Yes, you are still saying a bad word.”

"Oh." With an unmistakable hint of "Damn it."

He is completely and totally obsessed. All he talks about is bad words and flipping people off. Please don’t think that this is some lame attempt at deflecting blame. I don’t cuss around my kids unless I’ve done something really stupid that results in me bleeding unnecessarily and I don’t flip anyone off at all. Despite all my efforts though, the pursuit of vulgar language and indecent gestures seems to be his main goal in life.

The other day my son must have showed me five different hand configurations where the recurring theme was his middle finger up and some vaguely distinguishable but slightly different position of the rest of his fingers. All of them were unmistakably the “bird” still and he definitely knew it. Then he dove into, “What does it mean dad?”

So how do you explain “go F*&k yourself” to a six-year-old? My explanation was obviously not enough or blatantly evasive because he continued to ask me periodically throughout the day. As if I’d give him the pleasure of hearing it outright... He knows. He has spent too much time with people who don’t screen what they watch and listen too. He knows exactly what it means and uses it oh so perfectly with his older sisters when pushed to do so. Then, whether it was justified or not, they all get punished. Do I have any other choice?

%*&^$#!

Fej

1 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

I swear way too much. Last week I was in the company of my two-year old neice, who is presently picking up on all sorts of new words. I really became aware of what a filthy mouth I possess. My Dad was the same. The dinner table after she went to bed was littered with obscenities in an attempt to get it all out.

My parents told me the bird means the you want to start a fight with the person it is directed at. Then explained about how bad fighting is.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home