Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Rice, jobs, and more angst.

The layoff did come after all, but I was lucky enough to avoid being caught up in it this time around. Only a few people were given notice but who they are underscore the future of our location. The few who are not looking for jobs have been there long enough that they know they’ll have a few months of severance to survive. Everyone else is looking.

We did receive notice today that our health coverage premiums will be increasing again by another 27%. Last years increase was also a big one and this will push most family plans to pretty high levels. We were spoiled years ago when we worked for Motorola. The monthly premiums were minimal and the coverage was 100% except for $5 co-pay fees. Those were the days...

I received a call from a polling service asking whom I was going to vote for. The lady was probably tired of making the calls and seemed rather annoyed that I haven’t made up my mind yet. Sorry lady.

My oldest is having problems with hyperventilating. WEBMD.com suggests that this is due to stress and tension. Lovely, my pre-teen is already stressing out. I’ll be the first to admit that she does have several legitimate things to be stressed about. Growing up, middle school, her parent’s marital situation, and her younger siblings give her no end of crap. Not that she minds dealing it right back, but when I try to break things up she typically storms off complaining about how unfair the world is.

I have to fix four lunches tonight as usual. What’s wrong with “breaded beef steak”? Hello!? It’s chicken fried steak! Not for my children of high and rather specific tastes. Granted, the school cafeteria has a way with turning an old favorite into a least favorite. At least they are off of their rice kick. One likes plain white rice and the other likes it with soy sauce. I’d always screw it up some how by not adding enough salt, soy sauce, or forgetting one of the two altogether. Then they don’t even touch it but do manage to remove the lid and I get a lunch box full of rice the next night.

I’ll stop, even I can’t stand anymore.

Fej

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home