Sunday, October 31, 2004

Happy Halloween

In the fall, daylight savings is a wonderful thing. That extra hour of sleep is always great. Today was a bit of a whirlwind. My soccer game was way out in BFE of course so that saps about 3 hours of the day by itself. Then, the kids and I checked out some new housing divisions. They love to look at them and I desperately want to get out of this neighborhood. This is nothing new, when my wife lived here this was one of our main goals. The lure of shoes, a new car and countless other items were a strong enough lure for her that we could never swing it. I hope that once things are a bit more settled that I can get out of here in a year or so.

My neighbors gangster grandson was pacing around my yard yesterday loudly threatening to do serious bodily harm to a friend of his over the phone all while shirtless and within spitting distance of my kids. There was an apparent dispute over “weed” and he seemed unable to finish a single sentence without using the F-word at least twice, sometimes three. I’m not sure I could do that if I tried. That’s what renewed my interest in house shopping so suddenly.

Anyway, we managed to finally drop by my grandfather’s nursing home so he could see the kids in costume and also by their mom’s for the same reason. I’m suspecting that the massive hail storms we had a few weeks ago seriously affected the pumpkin crop. There was no sign of them anywhere, even last week. I know, we waited until the last minute. Luckily some guy was on the roadside selling large, rather ugly pumpkins. My kids chose the most lopsided of the bunch but they all agreed on something for once so that’s the one we got.

A storm was rolling in so it was rather cold. I insisted on extra layers but I strongly believe that I speak in a frequency not often heard by children. We made it farther than I would have bet before the chill of the night air overtook their desire for candy. We ended up doing the driving through the neighborhood thing where I sit in the car and they hit 3-4 houses and jump back in.

All in all, it was a good night. My first Halloween in the US, much less with my kids, in three years so I’d change that to a great night.

Fej

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home