Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I Don’t Care

No one cares. Hopefully our company is dead set on a policy of attrition, because they have certainly accomplished their goal, stated or not. It’s sad really, I don’t think any of us really wanted this of course for our company. Not even the people who are making these types of decisions.

Everyone likes to make the “boss” out to be the enemy, it’s fun, it’s tradition, and sadly the way most places are run. Truly though everyone who has a boss, would rather they be a “leader”. Someone who can inspire without demanding, motivate through incentives and not deadlines, and most importantly, someone who can draw you to work because you are needed, not because you have to be there 40 + hours a week. Someone who can help you to feel that what you are doing is more important than your paycheck.

I know, it sounds like I’ve been drinkin or smokin, but I believe that most people would prefer this sort of work enviroment. When it comes to your paycheck, it has to be enough or you go looking elsewhere, or whatever else is necessary to make ends meet. In the end though, your career will ultimately take up at least half of your waking years. Sometimes more sometimes less (you know, lottery winners and other successful people we envy with morbid jealously…), most of us will spend much of our lives working for a living.

Anyhow, this went way beyond where I had intended. I can't even remember where it was I originally wanted to go but here I am. Enough.

Fej

3 Comments:

Blogger Bart Treuren said...

Once again, well stated Jeff. I don't know what companies these days think... they run their employees into the ground, humiliate them and subject them to control or terror techniques in order to obtain the maximum short term profits they can get...

They totally fail to realise that if you invest in your people, make it worth their while to hang around and be involved, happy, concerned, even motivated that they will reap a long term benefit way beyond the short term gain, tenfold and perhaps more...)

Sorry, me's pretty grumpy, rotten day at work, but appreciated every word you wrote.

Cheers, Bart
-----

12:42 PM  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

Man, this really hits close to home for me today. I've worked for my company for 13 years, and we (my department) spends most of our time justifying our existence. It really SUCKS and makes us feel completely undervalued. We know it's just a matter of time before they wipe us out. Unfortunately, I've been there so long that it would be foolish to quit. So, I just wait for the other shoe to drop and hopefully get a decent severance package when it happens.

6:43 PM  
Blogger TMock said...

Great post and I agree 100%!!

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home