Tuesday, March 29, 2005

It's about a Blankey, so don't read this if you're a guy.

My youngest daughter lucked out tonight.

A couple weeks ago she was invited to a slumber party at a hotel. At first I hesitated but having met the parents before and after talking to them it sounded like a great idea. They had a suite, hot tub, and an indoor pool. They really had a lot of fun.

However, she lost her “blankey”. This particular blankey is of some significance to her because it was my baby blanket from many years ago. My mother passed it on to her a few years back and the two have been inseparable ever since. She didn’t make it back home with her blanket though. At first we thought it was with her mom since she picked her up from the party. After a few days she confirmed she did not have it. I called the hotel and after being transferred to housekeeping and then on to an English speaking individual, she confirmed that they had not found a ragged Raggedy “Andy” blanket. I figured it was lost for good.

As I was doing my weekly cleaning of my vehicle, I came across a piece of paper with a lot of various writing on it. No surprise in my car but I read a couple of the comments prior to tossing it and they went something like this:

“Bye bye blankey, I’ll miss you.”

“I love you blankey, I guess I’ll never see you again.”

"I'll miss you forever... Etc., etc."

Man. I didn’t miss my old blanket until then. So, I decided to call the parents who put on the slumber party and left a message asking if they had seen it. That was on Saturday and she called back tonight to say that they had found it at the bottom of one of the sleeping bags the girls had used.

What a lucky little girl. If you think her little paper comments were sad, you should have heard her just before bed for the last two weeks... She isn’t taking that stupid thing anywhere from here on out, it stays home.

Fej

8 Comments:

Blogger Noala said...

I'm glad blankey was found :), for both your sakes *g*.
I used to be concerned about my son becoming attached to a blankey or the like, so we had quite a lot of different ones for him to use.

He didn't need/want an entire blanket - he had (what we called) 'touchies'. Any silky, shiny, slippery material - he used to rub it/them between his fingers as he went off to sleep.They were just a square of material edged ( so it wouldn't fray) about the size of a ladies handkerchief.

No where near as much sentimental value as your blankey but much easier to replace!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Awww what a sweet, sweet story. And hey, any guy who is a good father would like this story, too. They just might not admit it.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

Ya I am a guy and I liked this story, really cute. My daughter before bed needs every single "current" stuffed animal in bed with her. The strange thing is she instinctivly knows (Without taking inventory it seems) which animals she is missing, so I have to do the nightly roundup...but its a fun ritual.

Man I hope blogger lets me comment, i wanted to comment on yesterdays post you had but yes blogger has been wigging out lately....

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think kids should keep these security things as long as they can. They grow up so fast. Too many parents are in a rush to take this sort of thing off them.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

excellent post my friend... i have three daughters who each have their own things they depend on... congratulations on a wonderful weblog...

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better late than never. That was so sweet, and I was feeling rather melancholy tonight. It warms me to the cockles of my heart that a father is so sensitive and caring.
Treasure you children why they are young, it is such a sort period of their life.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, try that again. Treasure your children while they are young.

Then you get as old as me and you cant get a sentence out straight!

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home