Tuesday, March 22, 2005

New Stuff

I still haven’t had any calls about the job so I gave my potential boss a call today just to remind him I still breathe and want the job. He was nice enough and we talked for a little bit but there could be a little bad news. Apparently there has been a re-organization there and that has caused some unexpected delays. I didn’t feel as warm and fuzzy as I wanted after the call. He did assure me that he would let me know as soon as he could. I had a lot of time today to think though, and I don’t believe I’d be nearly as devastated as I originally had thought if I don’t get the job. I still want it but I’ll survive either way.

I completely forgot that I have this Friday off. I love it when that happens. I should have my tax return by then, not that it matters. It’s long since been spent.

My mom called tonight to tell me that a first cousin of mine was hospitalized and diagnosed with Diabetes I today. WTF? He is the same age as me, we’ve both been exceptionally athletic our whole lives and wham out of nowhere he gets this? Excuse my ignorance about this disease but I thought it was largely hereditary? And set in much later in life? I’m off to Google it and learn a bit more...

Fej

5 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

I could see how that would leave a bad taste in your mouth ya. Still hope the job thing goes through regardless, and it turns out to be as cool as you thought.

9:33 PM  
Blogger != said...

It's my understanding that diabetes is hereditary and also due to your lifestyle. Just recently, more and more kids are being diagnosed with diabetes because we have become a country of fat ****ers. I am at high risk of diabetes because of both my parents, and I am trying dang hard to get back into shape so i don't fall victim to it.

10:31 PM  
Blogger TMock said...

I'm sorry about your cousin. Diabetes runs on one side of my family, so I really have to watch it--especially now that I'm in my early 40's.

I'm still hoping you get the job, but it's good to have the outlook you do if you don't get it. Still got my fingers crossed!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Its Type 2 diabetes thats is onset and caused by your lifestyle. And that's what most American's are getting because they ate so poorly. You know like eating out all the time and eating grease and sugar.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

As previous commenters have pointed out, Type 1 Diabetes is a completely different animal from Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 is what we hear most about, related to lifestyle, diet, lack of exercise, etc. Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder where the body, for whatever reason often unknown, attacks and destroys its own insulin producing islet cells in the pancreas.

My son is almost four years old. He was diagnosed at 18 months of age with Type 1 diabetes and he wears an insulin pump 24/7... no family history of it on either my side or his father's side. Probably heredity plays a part in that a genetic predisposition for it is likely inherited, but there seem to be various (largely unknown) environmental triggers that start the autoimmune process in motion.

I'm sorry about your cousin, but once he learns about it all and how to take care of himself, he won't be limited in any way. He'll just have to pay close attention to things he never had to pay attention to before. Statistically, it's VERY unlikely that you'll end up with Type 1 since you and your cousin don't share the same parents.

Feel free to write privately if you want or need more info. Sadly, I know more about this than I wish I did.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home