Saturday, April 02, 2005

Grass Issues

We had a busy day today. I went to work in my backyard and started hacking away. It’s going to be several months and probably a few dollars later before it’s in presentable shape. I have a renewed interest in cleaning things up as well as a major change. I think I’m going to remove some grass and replace it with something else. Because I want to? No. Because I’m in trouble with the city for having too much grass? Yes.

I received a notice that per my lot size I have something on the order of 600-700 sq. ft. too much high water turf. I have until sometime in May to rectify the situation before I’m in violation of the ordinance. I can remove the excess grass or replace it with a low water turf variety.

First of all, I attempted to follow the law initially. You are allowed to use 20% of your lot for grass. That’s how I read it anyway and threw in some sprinklers and grass. It’s actually 20% of your lot minus any non-porous areas such as sidewalks, driveways, and uh your house. Oops.

Secondly, did the guy really look at my lawn (if you can call it that)? My days of having a nice lush thick lawn are long gone. There must be four different types of grass growing and at least one type is low water turf because it was green and growing all winter long. If you take in mind the different varieties, the patches of dirt, and just calculate the size of my lawn based on the sprinkler arrangement (not the overgrowth), I’m probably half way there already.

Third, for whatever reason even during July when I’d water three times a day, according to my water bill my usage is still always half of the average household.

I’m not the problem Mr. City inspector dude, my lawn is crap and hey, how the heck did he find all this out? Satellite photos? Not likely. I need a bigger dog…

Well, instead of taking on the city and defending my good intentions of keeping my sorry excuse for a lawn the size it is, I’m going to make some changes. Yeah, I’m rolling over.

Actually, even prior to receiving the notice, I’ve been considering what I should do back there. It needs a revamping and I’ve always considered taking out one section of grass and making it into a dedicated play area or garden or something. I have some ideas but not enough time.

Fej

5 Comments:

Blogger Noala said...

Far out - you have rules about how much of your yard can be grass, and of what type? I'm stunned.

Hmm, maybe that's what will happen here after a few more years of water restrictions.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

And to think I just started getting my yard going again. Been mowing, and watered on friday, which so happens that was indeed our water day! Yay! I didn't in advertanly break the law...I wonder if there is yard size to grass restriction here.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

ok... grass jokes aside (amsterdam's the grass capital of the northern hemisphere ;-) )... it's sad that the powers that be occupy themselves with such matters

wonder if there would be a problem with an artificial lawn?
----

5:59 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I had no idea there were ordinances on how much grass a yard is allowed to have! interesting. What if you add mulched areas with bushes or I know I know. You could really piss off mr. yard patrol and put up a bunch of plastic deer statues, and water fountains, and status of the naked Venus? throw in a few pink flamingos and I bet they'd welcome back your grass! ha ha

9:34 PM  
Blogger Fej said...

Yeah, it's the high desert, but desert none the less. This particular ordinance is close to 10 years old but they have newer ones as well.

Bart, they wouldn have no problem with artificial grass so long as it was in my back yard.

Heather, good to see (read) you again. Where have you been?

Suzanne, excellant ideas, all of them, unfortunately they would be wasted as it is my back yard they are concerned with. That's where I was going with the "satellite photo" part. My front yard is just rock.

If it were my front yard though, I'd totally take that approach!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home