Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Gymnastics and Appropriate Underwear

My solitaire game was just getting somewhat predictable and then I finally have something to do again at work. If you were wondering, predictable means I should never play for real money. I managed to pull myself away from the news and did get some work done today. I wasn’t happy about it though.

I never thought it was possible to progress to a point like this in a job. Especially at a place where I worked so hard for so many years. I may be slacker numero uno now, but this is a recent change. I was “Mr. I’ll do anything and no, don’t worry about paying me for what I do, I’ll do it anyway” for years and years. Hmm. I may have given away my point already.

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful. I have learned so much over the years and I do make pretty good money now. I don’t work for a company that spends a lot of time worrying about their employees. They don’t necessarily treat us poorly but... you’d have to work there I suppose, it’s a long story.

The sad but somewhat “I hope they learn their lesson” part of it is that I’m not the only one interviewing with every intention of leaving the company just a soon as possible. Our skeleton crew could become skull and crossbones only because there are several more of us at this stage. If those that I know of and myself were to all leave the company within a short period of time, it wouldn’t necessarily shut anything down within the company, but it would shake things up quite a bit.

A few quotes from my son who quickly grounded me after work and made me realize what’s really important, while at my daughter’s gymnastics class:

“My sister’s underwear is showing Dad!” At the top of his lungs.

“Her underwear is too big Dad!” Same volume, I’m pretending I’m not “Dad”.

“That other girl’s underwear is too big too Dad!” Again, really loud, I start to chuckle.

“She should wear my shorts Dad.” Everyone on the bleachers is laughing.

“No Dad, she should wear my boxers!” He finally realizes he has an audience and it goes sour from here, but thanks son.

Fej

2 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Hmm with such talk you almost sound like a programmer...

I had a job once that everyone jumped ship, and I was stucking being lead programmer working on an accounting package AS A PARTTIME STUDENT. fun times.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Stepping Stones said...

I remember thinking the same thing about my job, but if I quit it would have shut them down. And guess what? I quit on them because I knew it would paralyze them for a bit. Evil, but a much needed thing to do. They were taking advantage of my good nature, which is why I'm going to school to be a teacher. ;)

As for your son, sounds like he's going to be a charmer. LoL I love it. He's a character. =)

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home