Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Conflicts of Discipline

Experiencing a powerful sneeze while eating your Grape Nuts will set your morning back by ten minutes minimum.

Relatives were in town yesterday so we all went out to dinner. I wasn’t at all hoping my wife would want to go when I offered, but she did. It wasn’t that bad. During the ride over (she didn’t want to drive herself) my son was smacked in the head with a pen. The probable suspect was his 7-year-old sister but she claimed he had it coming. Truth be told that was probably true. A large (loud) debate ensued as to whether or not he really did deserve the pen smack.

Poor guy got absolutely no sympathy from his sisters. I felt for him even though it was a desperate lie. Then my wife pitched in and said, “Just hit her back, see how she likes it.”

I knew that was a big mistake. He was still worked up over no one believing his story of innocence when he finally decided to cash in his get out of trouble card from mom, a couple minutes later. He pounded his sister in the head pretty hard. She started crying but stopped rather quickly as I (probably swerving radically) yelled at the top of my lungs, “NO ONE HITS BACK! IF YOU GET HIT, TELL ME OR YOUR MOTHER, WE’LL TAKE CARE OF IT!”

No one complained, not even my wife. I never, ever, yell like that. But I say that stuff all the time and it never works, well except for yesterday.


Fej

4 Comments:

Blogger != said...

I'll make sure to avoid Grape Nuts from now on! :-)

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I swear the phrase, "Keep your hands off one another. If they hit/kick/slobber on you, TELL me!" is a chant at my house.

Sigh...
-K.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

I find myself saying, "Step away from your brother!" or
"Step away from your sister!".....Never never never...lol...hit her back! Holy crap. What does that help. :) That's why I had to get rid of the Volvo. I hated it, but the Volvo wagon was traded in for a mini van so the three of them could be separated by at least a seat each! lol. Gotta love em.
C

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in your wife's shoes before. You say something that sounds good in your head and then the minute it comes out of your mouth you wish you could take it back!

MrsG

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home