Sunday, December 12, 2004

No Hamster Field Trip Today

I swear the birthday invitation said 3:00 PM at the east side CEC. We were there at 2:59, present wrapped, with card, front row parking space and with three hungry kids. We found the table with the birthday boy’s name on it although the spelling was a little different and this little guy was only turning two not six. Huh. We walked all around and checked with the staff and even called the West Side location. No luck. So, we drove all the way back home to find the invitation. We had RSVP’d over a week ago and being the 3rd party of four that we were invited to in the last three weekends; it was possible I had mixed something up. We left a frustrated, almost teary, hungry and missing the dang card crew.

All three kids fell asleep on the way home, that’s the first time that has happened on an in-town trip in years. I searched the house and the silly invitation had vanished. I called CEC back and asked if the party might have been scheduled for Sunday instead. Sure enough it had. Except they had cancelled. The lady on the phone was very helpful and thought that the family was still going to come for the party except it wasn’t going to be an official party. She wasn’t quite sure what time either. Forget it.

My kid’s mother wanted to take them to a movie. I told her we had other plans with the party, maybe on Sunday. Our plans entailed driving all over town, no party though.

On Sunday, we had a casual morning. We had bought a portable carrier for our evil dwarf hamster yesterday. My oldest daughter’s mission in life right now is to take the rodent to my parent’s house. I figured they’d be back by 3:30 or 4:00 at the latest. I got a phone call at that time from my wife saying that they missed the 1:30 movie and would be going to the 4:30 instead. That gave me more time to continue on my cleaning mission, but I knew it would be a problem later. I clean so much more effectively under the influence of beer. I reaffirmed this fact this afternoon. It has been so long since I have had the house to myself, on a weekend, when I wasn’t at a soccer game, or sick, or out of town. It is much cleaner now.

My kids returned near 7:00 and my oldest went sulking into her room after I told her the hamster field trip would have to wait. She re-emerged later and I was able to cheer her back up. Then an incident occurred with her falling off the couch and her younger sister didn’t help, or something, and they both said it was the other one’s fault and then doors slammed and everything was quiet. Well, I like quiet at least.

No news is good news when it comes to the soap opera stuff, hopefully that will remain the case.

Fej

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home