Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Random nonsense

I think I’ve managed to wean myself from the super addictive Yeti game long enough to post tonight. I really need to stop playing that crap.

The kids are doing well in school, although my oldest is 1 for 3 in days that she has liked middle school. I think it’s almost as bad for me, I couldn’t even sleep Sunday night I was so nervous for her. It’s a long story that I could only bear to tell over drinks, not in a blog. Anyway, we moved our kids to an out of district school and it has been great up until now. We didn’t know that we needed to start the application process in January and now we can’t get her into the same middle school that all of her elementary school friends are going into. She is doing well but between not knowing anyone and with the uniform policy she is stretched pretty thin. Stress.

I got a strange call today. My wife’s good friend called me around lunchtime. She stays with my wife in her apartment all the time so I didn’t understand the direction of her questions until after the call. I’m slow too… She asked if I dropped my oldest off at school first and then the youngest at the apartment. I take my oldest to school and she takes the younger ones because of the different start times. I replied that I went to the apartment first of course. Then she asked if “anyone else” was there. I figured she was referring to her sister who also stays over occasionally. Then she didn’t elaborate and it got sort of uncomfortable. I reaffirmed that no one else was there that I knew of and we ended the call. This friend is close to my wife but they have their differences like the ocean has tides. I think “someone” must have spent the night and my wife’s friend was a bit bent about it. This same woman would not talk to my wife all last year when we first separated. Everyone including her likened my wife to a leper and wouldn’t even talk to her. Things were strange, but as far apart as we were emotionally, I was the closest person to her that whole time. Sounds strange, but again, this is one of those “over a few beers” conversations.

Then my brain kicks into gear and I realize that something weird must of just happened after she hung up. My first reaction: anger, jealousy, or curiosity? No, I just had visions of some independently wealthy man with infinite patience, a desire for chaos, instability, emotional roller coasters, and a very strong desire to find a women with children that he really never wanted to get very close to but could be a good (distant) step father too. I believe that would be a run-on sentence but it pretty much sums up my sentiments. I don’t know what really happened, I forgot about it until now. I want her to be happy, but I know it can’t happen with me.

Anyhow. I have this nagging feeling I’m going to have to take some equipment to China in the next couple of weeks. This will be trip # 9 and will push my total time there to well over 6 months. I also heard about some of the details of the layoff packages people are getting. Lay me off!! Nearly four months of pay plus unemployment… sign me up! If I can’t find a decent job in that time, then I don’t deserve one. Then again, a couple of weeks in a hotel room by myself? I have a hard time not enjoying such rare solitude.

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home