Monday, August 09, 2004

Suburbia

I went out and bought a big ole’ gas guzzling Suburban today. Why you ask? Especially given that every other one of my posts is a complaint about not having enough money? Well, my down payment was next month’s would-be car payment (on my rapidly decaying mini-van) and I’m now paying about $200 dollars less a month. It’s six years old too, so it’s not like I spent a whole bunch. Just hear me out, I’ve been trying to justify to myself the idea of doing this for months. As for getting a Suburban, I’ve always liked them and I wanted something big. Yes, I know that gas prices are at an all time high. Somehow it seems though that I’ve always got 5 or more passengers with me. Nieces, nephews, cousins, friends of the kids, etc., we’ll probably fill all eight seats weekly. To top it all off, with some very creative re-arranging and shoving around of crap, I managed to fit the beast in my garage. I’ll need to back it out every time I do laundry though :)

That was sort of stressful. Buying cars has never been fun and I’m not good at that sort of thing. I think I made out pretty well for once thanks to the dealer totally forgetting about paying off my van after already quoting a payment. We were two signatures away from being done when they caught it. I’m glad they did, as I would have been making payments on a van I no longer had possession of. I ended up getting way more than my trade was worth and he dropped the interest rate 3%. Of course you could also construe this to mean that I was getting bent over before hand and just lucked out and got a fair deal. I like the optimistic explanation better…

That pretty much blew most of the day. Then it was show and tell at work and the kids just about blew a gasket. They really liked it. I also went by my sisters and we ended up staying for dinner. This relieves some pressure from my Jeep’s aversion to liquidity. I still need to sell it, now that I finally have a vehicle capable of towing it every place I’ve wanted to take it without actually driving it. Go figure.

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home