Monday, August 02, 2004

Back home

Our rather fortuitous trip turned out to be a nice one. The only thing I forgot was my dog’s leash and that was hardly an issue. He does great despite my lack of ever attempting to train him. Side note: strive to be the kind of person your dog thinks you to be. (Quoted from someone else, who deserves the credit, I obviously don’t know who that is).

We had fun, I worked on all sorts of projects, and the kids seemed to enjoy things. I don’t remember being as difficult to please when I was a child. I found myself focusing my efforts on ways to entertain them to the point that it distracted from my own enjoyment. I do remember being set free to do my own thing and doing just fine. That turned out to be the best approach in the end. “Can we go to the river?” I found myself saying sure. Then after they left, all the worries of what could go wrong began to flood in. Then I countered with the memories of myself being much younger and going places much further away and doing things much more dangerous at a younger age. I survived, and learned, and now have to go through the torture a child rarely feels when absent from their parent…

Age. My grandfather, who I also realize that I have modeled much of my own habits, behavior, and values after, is beginning to lose his memory. It’s odd how it works. Some older memories are as clear as a bell to him, while some are gone entirely. The same seems to occur with new memories, some are clear, some are just partial, and some are just gone. It’s sad to watch but I think this is something I need to see. He knows this is happening and that makes it even more difficult for him.

My wife was not able to make it up after all. I should have never even brought up the possibility of her coming up and finishing the week up there with the kids after I left. I held out thinking she really did want to come and that the thought of 3 or 4 days to myself was a potential reality. I probably held out for the latter reason alone. The kids were disappointed of course but my grandfather took it in surprising stride. He is very close to her and is beginning to recognize what is happening with us, but with difficulty.

It was a good, extended, weekend after all.

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home