Saturday, July 24, 2004

Nevermind about Friday night

So, instead of the quiet lonely evening at home I expected I didn’t roll into the house until after midnight.  My friend that I am on “different terms” with, well I decided to go out on a limb and see if he wanted to get a beer.  This was last minute and he didn’t even hesitate.  So, we departed from work and proceeded to go on one of my typical and unnecessary adventures.
 
I am adamant about only using money machines where I don’t get charged fees.  (I used to be really bad about not doing this.)  The money machine next to work was blocked by heavy traffic, so I figured I’d stop at the one closer to the bar.  During all of this wind and rain were uncharacteristically pounding our normally dry city.  The exit to my second money machine was also backed up so we proceeded to the next one.  There we also encountered heavy traffic and a previously non-existent river across a major intersection.  The desert soil does not absorb water readily, its porosity is low so when it does actually rain hard the water has no where to go.  We drove through a foot plus of water and after finding traffic at every turn decided that we had enough cash on hand to cover a few beers. 

We found a typically packed bar to have plenty of room and put down a few beers.  I should have figured, but calling it quits there was not what he had in mind.  Once I have a couple beers in me I’m also pretty easy to convince so we were off to the topless bar. 

(A quick side note: as I mentioned earlier I seem to have adventures everywhere I go.  A few months back, I found that the float in my gas tank was not functioning properly.  No more visual and audio indicators that you only have a couple gallons left, it runs out at just below a quarter tank.)

Having commented earlier that we would need to stop for gas was not enough to prevent running out on one of Albuquerque’s busiest streets.  (My tank is now empty at just over a quarter tank) Did I mention already that the rain was pouring down?  So, after a 2-block jog to and from the nearest gas station, we were back on the road (to the very same gas station I had just run to).  We stopped for cash and then pulled into the establishment. 

We (actually, my friend) had established rules for the evening.  I don’t remember the other 3 but “no VIP room” was mentioned.  This is never a problem for me for cash reasons among others.  I found our table empty after a trip to the restroom, and he was gone for a good hour.  He had been of course, in the VIP room.  I spent that time debating table dances vs. drinks.  Limited resources require careful consideration.  I mistakenly chose one or two too many dances over drinks and went home practically sober. 

Even if I had the cash, I don’t think I could drop it like I see so many other guys do.  There is the occasional beautiful woman, but she is there to make money no matter what she tells you.  It was easy to get taken in especially after a few drinks before, but nowadays I seem to be a little wiser, older, realistic, whatever it is I know they have no interest in anything but my money.  And that barely gets me in the door. 

So, because I had driven, I took him back to work to pick up his car.  I walked into a relatively quiet house minus the rather perturbed and hungry animals.   I spent more money than I’d have liked to, but all in all it wasn’t a bad night. 

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home