Thursday, July 22, 2004

Lame Friday night

That's correct, I'm already declaring tomorrow night as lame and it hasn't happened yet.  Still stranger, the kids are spending the night at grandma's tomorrow, I don't have to work late, I'm not completely broke, and I'm not traveling.  So why will it be lame?  Because I have only one good drinking friend.  Sure, there are the other faithful two - Myself and I, but I drink with them all the time.

This guy is way cool.  He doesn’t pressure me (or I him) to get blitzed or stay out beyond when our drinking cards are valid.  I guess I don’t need one anymore, but I don’t want him getting in too much trouble with his wife.  We get along very well even if months pass by between our outings.  My other buddy and I are how shall I say… on different terms lately.  That’s a whole other blog in itself, but we don’t go out anymore.  My other friend and coworker, is in China right now so it would be tough to meet for a drink.  I think we drank enough together to last a lifetime though, last time when we were both out there. 

So, what to do?  I suppose I’ll just go home to an oddly quiet house, clean a bit, drink a bit, blog a bit, and probably be asleep before I would if the kids were home.  I guess that doesn’t sound so bad, but for quickly approaching the point of being officially single, I’m sure not acting like it.  My wife on the other hand has her Thursday Tikki Bar nights and whatever else.  Actually, since she started working again (thank God…) that has cut into her partying.  Even then, she’s bartending so I guess she’s at the same place just on the other side of the bar.

At work, the rumors are flying as always but with a little more energy and substance than usual.  Our plant once peaked at 2700 people at one point and now we are somewhere below 200.  I feel like an ant running around in a rainstorm; sooner or later I’m going to get hit.  I’ve made it through so many layoffs I don’t count and I’m used to people saying “don’t worry, they’ll hand you the keys when it’s time to close the doors.”  I’m not so sure anymore.  I’d still be surprised but for the first time I think I could really be on the list.  I’m supposed to go back to China in August most likely but now I’m wondering if that could change too.  I don’t want to go, I’d rather go now but there isn’t a need to.  I’ll probably be leaving right when the kids start school.  They hate it when I go, and I do too.  Their teachers notice the difference when I’m gone.  On the one hand, that makes me feel pretty good.  I must be doing some things right.  On the other other hand, they are miserable for the most part and I feel like a loser for being gone, even if it’s my job.  I need to get a new job. 

Enough for now,

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home