Saturday, August 14, 2004

Mexico

My wife called me at 6:00 AM to tell me that she and a friend were on their way to “somewhere” in Mexico. How do you correctly react to a phone call like this at 6:00 AM on Saturday morning? Why they were going wasn’t even clear to her except that she had received a call from a friend in tears and that she needed someone to go with her to Mexico, Juarez at least and possibly as far as Chihuahua. Two women, rather attractive at that, alone and traveling through Mexico… Am I the only one who sees a problem with this? Other than the two in question, probably not.

She never had any qualms about venturing off on things like this. The friend that was always there and rarely gave any thought to what might happen. But a good friend none the less. She would put every ounce of herself into everything she did. It was what she actually chose to do that really determined what sort of person she was. House cleaning… for months on end she would not even attempt to “maintain” things as they were. Our house would be as clean as I could keep it while working 40 + hours a week, going to school full time, taking care of the children, the house, her, and everything else that needed attention. Not a clean house, but livable and it would have been much worse had I submitted to giving up. Then, on an “apparent” whim, while I slept she’d stay up until dawn cleaning the house to a disturbing degree. For the next week or two I’d manage to keep things up for a while but then without any help and my time away at work and school, the house would return to the same ravaged state.

Bipolar disorder is a very complex problem and this is only one of the many ways that it manifests itself. I’ll try to add more on this subject later as it helps me to stay focused on why I am at this stage in my life. No matter how wrong everything sometimes feels, all it takes is a little detailed look into the past and I suddenly feel reassured that despite how difficult it is to let go of every idea of what the future should hold, what I am doing is the right thing. Most importantly, it is the right thing for everyone involved, I hope.

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home