Friday, August 20, 2004

Acetone

I’ve found that cheese flavored popcorn is one of the most addicting foods available. I have gone through an assortment of foods that I find irresistible, this being one of them. Heath bars are now considered a daily necessity, which is a promotion from addictive treat. I quit smoking last January so replacing that vice has been a constant strain. From what I hear it may always be a void that can’t be filled no matter how glad I am that I quit.

Cheese flavored popcorn and acetone are not good together. My middle daughter found tonight that beef jerky and acetone are also a poor combination. I’m leaning towards the possible conclusion that acetone and anything else edible is a poor combination. You are probably wondering how I figured this out? Quite by accident actually.

A little history: my middle child is not just a girl but approximately 137% girl. She terrifies me. She loves everything that has to do with being a woman. Painting her finger and toenails is one of the things she loves and does quite often. I introduced her to acetone (polish remover) so that she could wipe her canvas clean and start anew. 10 fingers and 10 toes translates to 20 potential colors…

I’m innocently eating my Chester’s cheese flavored popcorn and find the acetone uncapped and on the bathroom sink. My daughter had just finished removing old polish and adding several new colors. Oh well, at least she put it back in the bathroom. I put the cap back on and placed it under the sink. I then grabbed another handful of popcorn and shoved it all in my mouth. I then realized that the puddle around the polish remover cap and the moisture my fingers acquired from putting it back on was not water, but acetone. It tastes horrible and can ruin an entire bag of perfectly good popcorn. Even washing your hands doesn’t help. The popcorn was tainted.

That was a couple weeks ago and tonight another new coat of paint had been applied to her appendages. She was eating beef jerky all the while and FYI, washing your hands and the beef jerky will still not remove the flavor of acetone.

Just a warning to those of you possibly not aware of the horrible taste (not to mention the potential lethal effects) of acetone. We are fine, just a little smarter…

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home