Thursday, September 01, 2005

Tonight

It’s one of those nights. The kids are in bed and I’m up too late.

There are plenty of things going on in the world to make me appreciate the good fortune in my life. Yet, as if a blatant reminder to the futility of the things I do and the results I subsequently achieve, I can’t get on the Red Cross site to donate tonight. Odd. If for once in my life I wanted to pay a bill or two on the day it was actually due, I’m sure I could get on just fine. But, I wouldn’t try that hard since that is a rather petty thing to do. Now that I can afford to do so, I still hold out a couple days… just to keep them on their guard.

But, after seeing all the pictures, the chaos, and realizing that this won’t be a short-term disaster, I only wish I could do more. I’d drive my gas guzzling SUV down there tonight and pick up 12 or 15 people at a time depending on how many could squeeze in the back but then again that is not… realistic. I have obligations here that prevent me from leaving and even if I didn’t, they need buses, not Suburban’s.

Empathy is a cruel trait to posses, especially with limited means and excessive obligations.


Jeff

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I gave a few dollars to the Red Cross. It's all you can do, and just hope for the best.

12:59 AM  
Blogger cmhl said...

well written, fej. it is hard for most of "us" to grasp the desperation and isolation so many of those people are feeling.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home