Thursday, August 18, 2005

A New Place

This evening, despite what seemed like a million frustrations coming together all at once, in a pinnacle, right on me, I found a new place to deal with it all a little better than normal. I really don’t even want to go into the details of the stuff leading up to these frustrations, it’s a bit more than I’d like to share. Not all of it’s bad but some of it’s not so good. As usual an optimist like myself would then reason that things are going okay. So, I suppose they are.

I changed into comfortable shorts, pulled down the bikes, grabbed a chair, a beer, let my dog and many cats outside, and we sat. We watched kids ride all over the neighborhood. My kids. As if we had just moved in. We’ve been here just nine years or so. They rode and rode and rode. And complained and argued and crashed and I adjusted handle bars and seat heights and gave cats attention that I didn’t really feel like giving attention to but I did. But, in the end, I spent most of that time in a chair, with a beer, watching clouds drift by slowly. Not like they do when you only check on them every fifteen minutes or so, but like when you concentrate on them, focus, and watch them slowly pass by.

I don’t know what you’ll think of that, but I liked it. Then, I had to put the bikes back up, get them ready for bed, make lunches…


Jeff

4 Comments:

Blogger Mama Duck said...

Amazing how slowing down and sitting can open up a world that has always been there to our sometimes blind eyes.

5:52 PM  
Blogger cmhl said...

I think that is awesome. I am all about staking out in the driveway as the command post, with a nice glass of wine, and my laptop (ha!!) and coordinating the kid activities.good for you for slowing down, and I hope your other stresses can resolve.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Beer and a chair. Isn't it wonderful that it just can help the world pass by. Do it more often and hang out. Let them exhaust themselves and my friend...just breathe.
XOXO
C

9:29 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

At least for a little while it sounded like a perfect moment. Something out of a movie...during a quieter, calmer time. I need a day like that. (maybe I can borrow my sister's kid) :0)

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home