Monday, August 08, 2005

Our Weekend

That was quite a weekend. There were kids and dishes and socks and laundry and shoes (never a matching pair) and Leer Jet’s and ATV’s out of gas and flat tires and trees and scratches...

The good news is that we all had a great weekend. All the kids including my daughter’s friend had a lot of fun and didn’t want to go back home today. I didn’t want to leave either and my grandfather would gladly have let us stay through the rest of the week.

The bad news is that while attempting to show my daughter’s friend how to ride the two-wheeler, she drove through some low hanging tree branches and scratched the crap out of her face. That evening was a stressful one. None of the scratches actually drew any blood but it was obvious that she would and eventually did develop some pretty hefty scabs. Lovely. Technically it was my fault, I did agree to let her try. While it wouldn’t help me in court, I found that this particular child panics easily and does the exact opposite of what I had just instructed her to do. She not only rode straight into the tree but she gunned it the whole way through.

Her mom was very good about it all and her face looked much better today. I don’t think that there will be any lasting marks. Plus, she was soooo excited about the trip, the discussion of the incident never even came up when I dropped her off.

Phewwww.

Then my dog tried to drown himself by swimming out to us while the kids and I were paddling around the lake. It got kind of scary for a few minutes when I went to look for him. He was swimming in a bunch of bushes that were in shallow water. We could see the bushes moving and hear him paddling around, and then nothing…

I waded out, very dry, and then as I got further out it started to get relatively deep. I expected to brush up against my dead dog once the water hit my chest but then there he was. He had scrambled into the middle of a bush and kept himself above water. He was shivering and scared and so I grabbed him and walked back to shore as the hero. I was however soaking wet and it was not the warmest day. Stupid dog.

Leer Jet? Yes, we got to peer inside the Leer Jet that my cousin’s wife and family piled into to fly back to Houston. We gave them a ride to the airport and drove out onto the tarmac, I’ll post some pictures later.

There was more but this is long enough. I’ll try to catch up with everyone later.


Jeff

3 Comments:

Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Welcome home! You were missed!
XOXO
Christie

6:28 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sounds like an exciting trip! Glad you made it home safely. (And the dog, too.)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Ahhhh, stupid maybe, but definitely faithful and loyal dog!!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home