Sunday, August 28, 2005

Another Reason Why I'm Going To Hell

The scene: I’m at a wedding reception of an old high school friend of mine. Lot’s of old and current friends, we’ve all had some time to have a few drinks, dinner will be served soon. The wedding party finally comes in after hours of pictures and things finally get going. There is a quick toast and then the groom’s father steps up to give a little talk. Then he asks everyone to join him in a blessing and a few words in prayer. The room falls silent (for the first time that evening) and just before he begins, a cell phone rings.

It’s mine.

My hushed reaction: “God damn it…”

Fortunately for me, with my phone all I have to do is press any button and it will silence.

However my table was desperately snickering and stifling uncontrollable laughter during the whole prayer.

No one at any other table heard me luckily.

Who was calling? Of course it was my STBE, from the hospital. At least she didn’t leave a message.

So, how big of a deal is it to curse and use God’s name in vain during a prayer?


Jeff

7 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

ROFL that was halarious, I was taking a drink of soda when I read that and bout near spit it everywhere... ha ha ha...
don't worry i'll have a condo on the 7th level of hell I will probably time share out.

12:34 PM  
Blogger cmhl said...

hahahah! yes, you are going straight to hell. I"ll save you a spot.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Whisper said...

Nah, you aren't, well, maybe. It just comes to show something. Cell phones are deadly. Unless on buzz, or whatever.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Fantastic! Glad to see that I will be in good company when I make it to my fully-furnished condo in hell!

Margaritas by the lava pool at 5?

8:12 PM  
Blogger Carol Davidson said...

haha! Love that story. And glad it was you, and not me... it's usually me.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

great story... been there, done that although i was just in the thoughtful process of switching my mobile off during a funeral when a text message came in...
embarrassed? what are you talking about :P

7:59 AM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Between this and your sexual hell rating at Ruth's I'd say we need to make room for one more!

How've you been?

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home