Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Awkward Family Moments

I found out about another school event just this morning. This time it was a big show the kids put on each year outside. I should have known, I guess it just crept up on me. I felt a little better when my cubicle neighbor (whose son attends the same school) overheard my conversation figuring how to work tonight out, and then explained that she too had completely forgotten.

My wife was somehow dropped off at the school so I needed to give her a ride back to her apartment. On the way back, my kids brought up just about every subject to talk about that had I known, would have explicitly requested that they not bring it up. They decided somehow it was a great time to discuss just exactly how we (my wife and I) came up with each of their names. That was a difficult task with each child as we have completely different ideas on how to “uniquely” name a child. In my opinion, her technique was to give the child some playground-nightmare of a name, to show that they are special. I just wanted them to go through life without fear of having to state their name in a room full of strangers by announcing, “Hello, my name is Zenobia.” Wrong, just wrong. I won those battles though.

They also decided to go into a lengthy discussion of our trips to Nova Scotia. Bad idea. The first trip was before our separation but just prior to the start of our demise. It was a good trip I have to admit and the kids, not being old enough to pick up on things, enjoyed it thoroughly. The second trip was last summer and I didn’t exactly invite my wife. The kids still loved the trip though and really went into details.

Then they thought it would be a great idea if we drove miles out of our way and went to my house first and then had their mom’s roommate come to pick her up later. Uh no, not a good idea, we both chimed in and corrected them on that one.


Anyhoo, way late but we made it home, and into bed, well not my oldest and I, we still have a bibliography to finish for my oldest. Ugh.

Fej

3 Comments:

Blogger Christie E. Little said...

You're not kidding with the kid moments, are you? They're trying and you know that. They love their mom and dad. Deep breath.

If it makes you feel any better I have a program tonight. It was cancelled, but somehow it's back on with no notice until last night. So, batteries are charging for the Princess tonight.

I hope the bibliography came along well. :) Don't you love the projects. I think I'm done for the year. My kids are on summer vacation next week!
TTFN, C

6:53 AM  
Blogger TMock said...

I have a Pops Concert to attend next Tuesday evening. It's Monica's last production before school gets out for her big 3 week break (she's on year round schedule).

My playground-nightmare name was almost Tana Rue. Eek! Can you imagine? What was my mom thinking?

10:04 PM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

Hi Jeff, don't try focussing too much on the kids way of life... yours is important too. You need things too, you kids and your lovely STBE treasure as well... we're all human and need to make concessions, that's the way it goes.. just don't lose sight of yourself, cause you're a special person even though you might think otherwise...

cheers,
bart

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home