Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Moving On

While waiting in the car the other morning, my little ones were wondering why I wanted to change jobs. They think my company is the greatest place on earth. For one I’ve worked there for their entire lives. Two, on “Bring Your Kids to Work Day” the place is full of games, donuts, candy, and we get play with microscopes and lasers and such. Three, that’s the only time they go inside. The new place just doesn’t sound as fun to them and I neglected to ask if they let us bring our kids on that day each year.

They could not fathom why I didn’t want to be a manager at McDonalds instead. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it’s just not for me.

So, I put in my resignation yesterday after 12 years of employment (more than 1/3 of my life) at this place. That was not an easy thing to do. Even though the offer from my new employer was plenty generous and I’ve been wanting to leave for years now, actually making that walk down the hall was rather nerve racking.

While they were certainly surprised it was more because it was really happening, not that they had not considered the possibility. I somehow kept it quiet for the rest of the day and I was warned to expect a strong counter offer.

Crap.

Did I want them to stroke my ego, make me feel like all these years hadn’t gone unnoticed, miss me? Yes.

Did I want them to make a serious offer and genuinely make this life changing decision more difficult than it already has been? No.

Most of my morning was spent talking with varying levels of management. Saying "yes" would have been so much easier. I didn’t spill on the details of my offer and held firm that I wouldn’t have resigned if I hadn’t already made up my mind.

And I feel so much better now.


Jeff

13 Comments:

Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Can you feel your shoulders relaxing? Congratulations, my friend.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you're ready to move on to a new phase of your life.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Faisal ... said...

Congratulation and Good luck for Phase 2. ;-)

6:07 AM  
Blogger cmhl said...

good for you!!!! I know, that is a reallllllly hard thing to do. good for you. it is behind you, and they obviously thougth you were a good employee.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Noala said...

Wooohoooo! Way to go Fej, congrats!!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Congrats!!!!! I'm thrilled for you and keep us posted on the new place!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Fej said...

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty happy about it too. I'm sure this will be a whole new source of blogging material so we might even see a little more content over here.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Fej said...

Noala, I can't leave comments or send you email, let me know where your new blog is if you can.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Ahhhhhh you can breathe now! How good do you feel!

Congratulations to you! I'm so glad it finally happened. Wow...a counter offer. You are quite the keeper, aren't you?
xoxo
C

9:38 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

Excellent!!! Well done mate, and good luck!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Noala said...

GOt your e-mail Fej and have replied.

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure it was a hard decision to make, but so pleased to hear you're moving on. May this new position be everything you've wanted and more.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm so happy for you - congratulations!!

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home