Thursday, December 02, 2004

Dogs eating chocolate...

To get out of our house on time each morning requires just a few things: cooperation of weather, traffic, and kids. Between the three of those things, it just doesn’t happen. Today, I instituted a rather brutal and cruel (according to the recipients) policy of “once the timer goes off, if you aren’t in the vehicle, you are grounded.”

Background: I’m a wuss. I’m terrified of having to really get after my kids. I hate to see them sad, crying, or in trouble. I’m empathetic to a fault. After a few close calls and yesterday with ridiculously backed up traffic, my oldest daughter was really late. We were all to blame to some extent but my youngest daughter was probably the largest contributor. This morning I decided that anyone not doing his or her part would be grounded for the night. (This consists of imaginary punishments, as I haven’t had to follow through with this threat as of yet.)

It worked, quite well to my surprise. I even had time to search the house for various forgotten items. My short list passed with flying colors: backpacks, lunches, my coffee, and jackets. The long list failed.

I came home tonight to a living room full of shredded Advent calendars. I just about lost it. This is the 4th year in a row where my dog, whom I love dearly, has destroyed and eaten every piece of chocolate in my children’s Advent calendars. My mother gives them these things every year and every year they have to be the ones that have chocolate. My dog eventually finds one left out as we leave and completely devours it.

Today (the 2nd day of December) was no exception. My daughters both forgot to put theirs away and I didn’t notice them still out while checking my short list. My son, the youngest, and typically least responsible is actually very diligent about this sort of thing and had put his away.

I cursed my dog (who didn’t have a clue why I was mad) and then was grumpy the rest of the night, thanks to multiple other events. I’ve always considered myself a non-moody person. But when it comes to the little things I find myself rather stressed.

Tomorrow is Friday, I’ll make it through, and then the weekend will fly by like a locomotive on NOX, but it will be just long enough to enjoy.

Fej

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home