Monday, November 29, 2004

Snow Day!

Sort of. It started snowing as we left for school. It was coming down pretty hard after the middle school drop and it was a down right blizzard after elementary school. Yes, I have been begging for an excuse to put it into 4-wheel-drive since day one and I got my excuse this morning. Sadly, it was just because of one hill with a bridge on it. It took about 15 minutes to make it about 500 feet. I was able to watch car after car attempt it and realized that engaging full on 4x4 was no longer an option but highly recommended. That was the highlight of my day.

The school authorities decided to let school out early which promptly brought an end to our winter wonderland. There was barely enough snow left on the picnic table to comprise one or two loosely packed snowballs by the time we got home. They were however, enough to get my oldest child in trouble for sticking one of them down the pants of her younger sibling.

I had a brief scare this afternoon that could have left a huge, and I do mean huge, void in the blogging world. After checking email and such I came back to find a “blue screen of death” message waiting for me. Odd, I haven’t had any problems since the complete reload a couple months back. Then after a restart I came back to another rather cryptic message box “hard disk error”. Not good, so I figured I had finally been hacked or something died. It appeared that my hard drive had died since on restart it wouldn’t boot. It turned out to be a loose power cable into my hard drive, “phew!” That was scary though, I think it’s time for a backup of this old thing.

Then this evening was the Rosary for my wife’s grandmother, and as I’ve mentioned, legally my mother-in-law. I have a lot to say about the event itself that I’ll save for private conversations, probably over drinks with trusted friends. I don’t want to detract from her anymore than which has been done already. What’s important is that she was ready for this and I hope she’s doing well. Not many people execute their wills while living, give away all of their personal possessions (including their house), and deny medical treatment that might prolong their lives. She lived a long and difficult life so she was ready and told me so every time I saw her, including the last.

The most difficult part of it for me was that I was included and mentioned as surviving family. I felt that way about her and I’m sure she felt that way about me. What surprised me is that the rest of the siblings (quite a few) felt the same way. It was difficult because we are going through a divorce. I wanted to do more, but at the same time I thought I had already done all I could do. You had to be there, it’s probably not at all what you might be picturing.

Fej

2 Comments:

Blogger Vics said...

The blue screen of death is never good. Glad yours was just 'mostly dead' (did you have to chocolate coat the cable after hearing the death rattle say 'true love'?)
*mental note, stop watching the princess bride before surfing...

11:21 PM  
Blogger brokenangel said...

I have been separated and divorced from my ex-husband for over four years. My ex is now remarried and has another child with his new wife. His mother (my ex-mother-in-law) still calls me her daughter-in-law. She said that I'll always be her daughter-in-law. Despite the nonsense that has transpired between her son and I, she still considers me family. Sometimes emotional ties usurp the legal ramblings.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home