Monday, September 06, 2004

Cabin trip

We had another great weekend at the cabin. I don’t think I’ve gone into much detail about this place so here is a quick summary: My great-grandparents built this cabin in the late 1950’s. My grandparents took over it after their parents died and now it’s just my grandfather. I’ve gone there at least once, usually several times every year of my life. I love that place and now my kids love it too.

All of my difficulties in figuring out how to get my Jeep up there leaked to my grandfather. He heard that I wanted to bring it up and get to Cave Basin. Neither of us had been there in at least 10 years but I suspect it’s been longer than that. When I called to let him know that we were on our way, his only concern was if I had the Jeep with me. I confirmed that I did.

Saturday of course rained all day. Sunday though was perfect but I was concerned about mud. We all drove to the top of the mountain and then a bit further to where we hadn’t been able to go beyond previously. The forest service had always closed the road. Now it was open but even though all four cars in our party were four-wheel drive no one was willing to continue on but me. It was only about 1.5 miles to the top and I ended up doing it three times. My grandfather’s knee was bothering him, my cousin’s wife (who is seven months pregnant) started to feel bad, and my sister’s mother-in-law was way out of shape. Then of course the kids didn’t want to walk. I loved every minute of it especially because it was a really tough road (if you can call it that).

I’ll probably tack on a few pictures following this. I hope everyone else had a good weekend.

Fej.

1 Comments:

Blogger != said...

Sounds like an interesting trip. The pics are very cool.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home