Thursday, August 26, 2004

Scams

A couple months ago I received several very deceiving emails. I was reminded of these recently when I received another similar email the other day.

The first series were from a girl named Anna from Russia. The letters were very detailed and asked a lot of questions about me. She was single and looking for an American friend. I was intrigued of course and replied to most of her questions. I got back another long response with a whole herd of further questions for me. In this one she mentioned that she wanted to eventually marry and move to the US. And only on our second email exchange… I was still getting used to the idea of being single again and the last thing I wanted was another wife, at least so soon. A picture was included in each email and of course she was very pretty.

I felt obligated to relate my current situation to her and explain about my kids and marital separation. I did tell her that I was more than willing to stay in communication with her and do whatever else I could do to help her out. Then the third email arrived and it was even longer than the rest. She dove into a very long and in-depth explanation of her family and life in Russia. She also seemed unfazed by my marital situation and didn’t really mention anything about it. She wanted to know my home address so she could write and several other rather more personal things. I swear the pictures, while nearly identical, were getting a little more suggestive each time.

In every email, she went from writing in perfect English to gross grammatical errors often in the same sentence. I began to get a little suspicious. While not wanting to offend a potentially legitimate plea for help, I also didn’t want to give out any personal information. I replied to a couple questions and put in a bogus street address.

The following email was no different from the former ones. Perfect transfer of meaning with gross spelling and grammatical errors. Not a single reference to any question I posed to her and no raised curiosity that I lived on 123 Main St., Anytown USA. This time, I replied by copying and pasting her entire email into a blank message and then inserting a bogus phone number (that she had asked for) randomly into the text.

Her reply made it clear that this was obviously a scam. She wanted to call me and was alluding to her rapidly deteriorating financial situation. No mention of my email and only that she couldn’t wait to talk to me.

The new email I got the other day is almost worth posting. A 22-year-old Liberian girl wants me to adopt her and her 19-year-old brother. Both of their parents had been the victims of recent and untimely deaths and she needed a valid US bank account to transfer her $19.5 million dollar inheritance into. She allowed that she would settle for my handling of her money and just assisting them with investing it wisely if I didn’t want to adopt them.

If hear about someone else becoming suddenly rich thanks to their newly adopted adult Liberian children I’ll be more than a bit disappointed.

Fej.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you shoudda posted the Russian ones lol

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home