Monday, June 20, 2005

I Just Don't Care

A good friend of mine was pining away about a silly documentation policy. He was real upset about it and went on to explain why it was a very inefficient way to do business and there was a much easier way. I couldn’t argue with any of his logic, he really made a lot of sense. Then he asked what I thought and “wouldn’t you be upset too?”

I thought for a moment and then very honestly replied that, “I just don’t care.”

I didn’t mean to take the wind out of his sail or to minimize his valid point, but I just don’t care anymore. I think I stopped caring about 5 months ago, right about the time I got my first interview notice for the job I didn’t get. Ever since then, I’ve known that it’s time for me to move on. Where, I don’t know. But I have no more doubts that I need to leave.



We picked up a few new women on our soccer team this year. Two of them are very pretty. So the one I found myself liking is not wearing a ring but then I don’t see any women players wearing “rocks” during a game. It’s probably like a rule. Like it matters, I still need to finish off my own marriage first I guess. Anyhow, we are walking to the parking lot after the game. I’m for lack of a better term “checking her out” and then something catches my eye off to my side. There is my son, head in the sand, pushing himself along in the sandbox as if his head were the wheel to a wheelbarrow. I quietly try to catch his attention but no luck. So, I have to yell at him to pull his head out of the sand. He wonders audibly as to why this would bother me and I really don’t have a response.

At any rate, she was laughing. I’m going to take that as a positive. Yes, she’s probably married and even if not she wouldn’t likely consider dating a single father of three wacko children but I can dream can’t I?

Jeff

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a wry observation, but if you didn't care at least a little all those electrons wouldn't have assembled into words and then published themselves out onto a massive hypertextual network. :>

That's just career ennui you're feeling. (By now, I can recognize it like my own reflection in the mirror...) Go! Start the job search if you haven't already! If you have, take it to the next level and hire a career counselor!

And my best unsolicted advice regarding the pretty lady is here.

(I'm entirely too optimistic from just my first cup of coffee this morning. Must be something in the air...)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Ah Jeff .... I totally get the whole "I don't care" attitude. Mine comes from a whole different source but it's still the same feelings within.

As far as the woman goes, you definately have a legitimate shot. From what I can tell here on your blog, you are caring, responsible, witty guy. You would be a great catch for that woman!

And I am LMFAO about your son's head in the sand! LOL

10:59 AM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

Also a question of priorities Jeff... in your own life you have a whole lot of other things claiming your attention and you get to determine what's important and what's not worth the effort of getting yourself worked up about. It's good you can be so honest but be careful, you need people just as much as they need you so watch the toes (sorry, end of sermon...)

Of course you can dream... that's the stuff life's made of and makes it a damn site more interesting anyway ;-)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

It sounds like good chemistry between you so far, at least. She probably *isn't* married. Did you ever think about that?

5:09 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

It sounds like you've stagnated....burnt out with the daily grind. You need a change brother! Change of scenery, change of job, I like to move when I get like that because you know the old saying. "if you keep doing the same thing every day...you're going to keep getting the same thing every day"

I'm like that with my job now. People get so worked up...and I just don't care. 5:00 comes, and I don't even think about it anymore!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Fej said...

CW, Thanks for the advice, the job search has been going for a while, I'll find something.


Lori, my son is a dork, just like his dad.


Bart, I believe I have experienced a major priority shift in my life, my current job isn't up there on the list. My current income is, just not the job.


Diva, I was just trying to be overly negative hoping to push karma in my direction. Although that rarely works.


Trisha is the the greatest isn't she?


Suzanne, I won't be moving anytime soon although that might help too. I do just need a change of scenery.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home