Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Odd...

I’ve noticed that the remote controls, all three, have not left the coffee table, not even to hide deep within the recesses of the couch as they have a tendency to do, all by themselves. Not one single cup has mysteriously appeared on said table either, that doesn’t belong to anyone in our household oddly enough. Not one spec of cereal, no half-eaten sandwiches, no crumbs at all have showed up around the house. Not even a plate of waffles upside down and stuck to the carpet.

There aren’t even scads of scribbled drawings showing up on paper that seems to come out of nowhere, nothing on the chalkboard has changed in the last 15 minutes much less the entire weekend. Even the most favored canvas of all, the bedroom door to the smaller room, has not had additional works added to it.

I haven’t heard a door slam in so long I think I’ve forgotten what it sounds like. No ear piercing screams followed by sudden “thwacks!”. Not even the wailing and sobbing that always follows the “thwacks!”. And most startling of all, I’ve finally come to the realization that no: toys do not move themselves from the bedrooms to the middle of the living room, kitchen, dining room, hall, bathrooms, my bedroom, my bed, my closet, my underwear drawer. Nope, not a one has moved in the last two days.

You are thinking that I’m missing my kids at this point… Wrong! Maybe tomorrow.


Fej

7 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Hmm I guess how soon you miss the kid(s) is proportional to how many you have, having just one, I miss her babbling, slamming, whining, crying, moving toys around and begging to go out side pretty quick :)

1:51 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

You need another two days and then you'll be making messes on your own, and slamming doors just for effect! (ok maybe not) but you will miss them and the insane quiet when they're not around.
My boy just left for Belgium (6 weeks) to visit his father. I come home, and think..."now what"? It's waaaay to quiet and no one is calling "MOOOOM"!
-sigh-

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, there's definitely a tipping point somewhere. For me I think when they were really little a week away from them was just starting to get too long, I'd actually be getting nostalgic for the little kinds of things you're describing.

As for the toys, are you sure they don't move by themselves? I could have sworn that BK's Lego and K'nex move all by themselves in the middle of the night all over the house...

7:24 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Ahhh Jeff....I am so proud of you for not missing the kids *wiping a tear*. Ya know, getting a break is what makes us better parents. So we shouldn't assume that we should miss them.

Maybe you have those ghosts from The Family Circus...the "Not Me" one and that other one? lol

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Found you through Melinda.

Wow...sounds so peaceful and organized. I'm jealous.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Yep, the kids drove me nutty for days, then they all left and it was quiet and I was sad. : (

10:20 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Now...my friend...I know you're swigging back your Horse, hanging out barely dressed...and hoping beyond hope you don't get any SOS calls from the soon to be ex. LOL! Am I right?! Any prospects for her yet? I'm thinking you need to make sure he has a checking account, a home of his own...and a job wouldn't hurt. I know we're dreaming, but she did find you. Soooooo...keep looking!
XOXO
C

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home