Monday, February 07, 2005

Our Rowdy Panel

We got in trouble for being too loud in the deliberation room again today. Everyone is getting along fine so far and we tend to get a bit too loud I guess during breaks and while waiting for court to resume again. Some of the women are bringing, apples, cookies and candy for snacks. The old men are constantly chattering, probably more than the women and certainly louder.

This led me to begin considering why are we being so loud and talkative? I even found my usual quiet self speaking up here and there today. Those of you who have served on trials involving difficult subjects and crimes can probably understand. I think it is the fact that we sit for hours on end listening to all the testimony, some of it quite traumatic, and then like I mentioned before you have to leave the court room and not speak of it to anyone.

I think it's that our talking freely, laughing, and letting loose a little really seems to help. It gets us “shoosed” by our bailiff, but I know we all feel a little bit better afterwards.

I can see why they shoosh us though too: Imagine sitting in the audience of the court, waiting for the trial to resume, and as the court room quiets down all you hear is the laughter of the jurors from the deliberation room. Then the door opens, we all walk out, with our coffee, tea, and water, our spirited conversations just ending as we slip out the door to our seats. It probably doesn’t look too good.


Fej

5 Comments:

Blogger Vics said...

well if you need distracting - enter my comp lol

1:56 AM  
Blogger Shane said...

Nothing will replace the look on the defendant's face when he saw several of the jury eyes getting "heavy" and taking those "long blinks". As he pointed it out to his lawyers secretary, and she laughed...I guess falling asleep for boring readings of depositions (When the actual witness's aren't available) is a common occurance late in the afternoon.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

That is surreal.

You stud. "STUD4EWE". That's too funny. It's probably still available too.

6:14 PM  
Blogger TMock said...

Talking is no doubt a real stress reliever for all of you. I know I'd have to talk alot to my fellow jurors because I wouldn't be allowed to talk to anyone else. If you can get away with it, even with a few 'shushings' than it's all good! :)

7:15 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I should probably delete my comment but in retrospect it is too funny so I'll just leave it.

Sorry, I misread a comment on Carmi's blog (http://writteninc.blogspot.com/) under his gmail giveaway post. It was by "Jef" and dyslexic me read it as "Fej".

I guess I was trying to make you rowdier than you wanted to be.

You stud.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home