Friday, September 24, 2004

Here we go again.

Today started off well enough. The kids had spent the night with their mom since they had an in-service day, no school. So I shocked the crap out of everyone and showed up to work at 7:30 AM. I got the whole gambit of explanations:

“I thought your car broke down, why else would it be here this early in the morning?”

“Do you keep an extra set of clothes here?”

“You always leave early on Friday, I suppose you will be out of here by lunch today?” (From my boss no less)

“What the hell are you doing here this early!!??” (The most common response).

I’m just so proud that I’ve managed to reach a point in my career where people are surprised when I show up before 9:00 AM and everyone is okay with it.

After exchanging lots of jokes with my boss about leaving early I had to anyway. Damn. My wife’s apparent progress was all a front. She had tried to commit suicide earlier this week and was completely falling apart. I commended her on finding the strength to call me and told her to get ready to be admitted. She actually suggested the hospital admission but I’m supposed to tell everyone she is on vacation. This is a change too, usually she wants to tell the whole world when she is in the hospital.

I don’t know how close she really came to dying, but if I cut her story in half, then she just took 15 Xanex pills at once. If she was telling the truth... I think she is more prepared than ever to work on getting better and off the medication. I took her to the hospital tonight and checked her in. I hope they keep her longer than a week. I don’t think you can break this sort of problem in a few days. She actually recognizes what is wrong and wants to get help. This is a big break through but it’s going to be really tough. And she cried the whole time about screwing things up between us, how I was right all along, and she totally regrets everything that has happened over the last two years.

It’s nice to finally feel like you were right after all this time. It really sucks to see someone that you care about plead for something that you don’t and can’t ever feel again. I just hope they can give her the help she needs, I can’t, she can’t and this is her one legitimate medical need that has to be addressed.

It’s Friday at least and my birthday is tomorrow. My parents are taking me to my favorite restaurant and I’m going to eat until my left shoulder hurts. I’ll relate more about that little problem later...

Fej.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home